Has anyone replaced seat foam?

Searched for a while for a new seat bottom for the driver's side but it never could locate one. Ended up getting a passenger's side bottom on ebay and then had a local shop do the work and also replace torn and cracked vinyl sides. It was more expensive than I had hoped but the end result came out very nice.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 094330.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Searched for a while for a new seat bottom for the driver's side but it never could locate one. Ended up getting a passenger's side bottom on ebay and then had a local shop do the work and also replace torn and cracked vinyl sides. It was more expensive than I had hoped but the end result came out very nice.

View attachment 427884

Looks good! You’re pretty close to me, (Dunwoody) mind sharing the shop name and what it cost? My stitching is in good shape but I could use a new bottom cushion.

Red02TJ - Sure thing...

The shop is Marietta Auto Trim just off Allgood Rd and Cobb Parkway. The shop is right behind the Walker School. Charles is the owner. Basically, it was about $225 per seat for all of the side vinyl to be replaced around the bottom and sides of the seat back. The cushion pad replacement and modification were about $175, I think. Basically, all out the door for both seats was just under $700 if my memory is correct.

Reactions: red02tj
Not to sidetrack things, but... I don't understand why dorman doesn't make a replacement cushion for TJ's. They make them for just about everything else.
I've done a few where I swap in a passenger side cushion. I also rebuilt the bolsters by gluing in high density foam.

Last edited:
If its like the seats I did almost 40 years ago its not rocket surgery. Buy hog rings and hog ring pliers, buy foam, disassemble seat, cut/glue/shape foam (high precision not required), reassemble seat, done.

@TJ Jim two questions on these Bestop seats.
1. Did you have to buy the adapter to make them fit?
2. Still happy with them after a couple of years (and would buy again)?

Yes I bought the adapters just to make the job easier. They are still just as firm and sturdy as the day I installed them. No complaints at all. I’ve got a Tuffy lockbox under the drivers seat and it makes the seat tough but not impossible to move forward and backwards, but I rarely move it so no real problem there. Would I buy them again? Heck yea. Haven’t seen anything I’d swap them for even if given to me for free.
I have not had the stitching problem jerry bransford refers to on the ones he bought.

Yes I bought the adapters just to make the job easier. They are still just as firm and sturdy as the day I installed them. No complaints at all. I’ve got a Tuffy lockbox under the drivers seat and it makes the seat tough but not impossible to move forward and backwards, but I rarely move it so no real problem there. Would I buy them again? Heck yea. Haven’t seen anything I’d swap them for even if given to me for free.
I have not had the stitching problem jerry bransford refers to on the ones he bought.

Thanks for the quick reply. So are the adapters absolutely necessary or just as you describe it, more of a convenience item? I was actually preparing to buy the seats until I realized I needed those adapters, and that they would almost double the cost of the overall purchase.

Thanks for the quick reply. So are the adapters absolutely necessary or just as you describe it, more of a convenience item? I was actually preparing to buy the seats until I realized I needed those adapters, and that they would almost double the cost of the overall purchase.

If you are a half way decent fabricator with access to some steel parts (Lowe’s would work) it’d be pretty easy to fab what you need to. Welding would be a plus but you could get by with nuts and bolts. Since your a Jeep owner I’d assume you can modify and fabricate as needed 😝

If you are a half way decent fabricator with access to some steel parts (Lowe’s would work) it’d be pretty easy to fab what you need to. Welding would be a plus but you could get by with nuts and bolts. Since your a Jeep owner I’d assume you can modify and fabricate as needed 😝

Okay good to know. Thank you