Has anyone reupholstered their factory TJ seats?

Wait so if I’m reading this right, you can replicate the original seat patterns?
Any auto upholstery shop should be able to remove you factory seat covers, use them as a pattern and make new seat covers. The limitation is in finding a matching material. An auto upholstery shop will have samples for matching material. My shop has books with samples for factory material going back to 1970. That being said our TJ's have gotten old enough there is very little factor material left. We used the last of the Sahara green cloth that we could find a few years ago.

Anybody have their original seats reupholstered? All the aftermarket seats I have been researching are too wide to fit between the console and roll bar and still be square with the dash like the oem seats.
I had to do major engineering to fit the seats I got out of a Compass. Passenger seat will not adjust back between the console and roll bar. Driver’s is off center to adjust back.
I have a 98 TJ with 265,000 miles ..... I’ve had mine rebuilt and reupholstered Twice. If you find a decent shop, it’s the only way to go. I have a Sahara model and he was even able to find OEM material.

Reactions: Ericict
Anybody have their original seats reupholstered? All the aftermarket seats I have been researching are too wide to fit between the console and roll bar and still be square with the dash like the oem seats.
I had to do major engineering to fit the seats I got out of a Compass. Passenger seat will not adjust back between the console and roll bar. Driver’s is off center to adjust back.
Ordered katzskin leather for my 98 TJ, $744 and I installed myself, go slow and pay attention, about a 4 hrs. Project turned out great.

BF06E9CA-199A-4C66-B316-7D8DC42D368B.jpeg

Not sure why everyone goes aftermarket. The factory TJ seats are very nice IMO. Reupholstered they look and feel even better.

Here is a pic of some JKU (Not a TJ/LJ!!!) factory seats reupholstered. Proof you can make something factory look really impressive.
View attachment 41232 View attachment 41233 View attachment 41234
These look great, did you do this yourself with a kit or did you have this professionally done? If a kit, can you put me in the direction of it?

You do realize this thread is more than two years old, right? You aren't likely to get a reply. It is probably better to start a new thread if you have a question about something.

You're probably right. But everyone following this thread or that has posted will get an email notification. Would be best to do both. Or just pm the member that posted those seats.

You're probably right. But everyone following this thread or that has posted will get an email notification. Would be best to do both. Or just pm the member that posted those seats.

Okay, well I'll play then. I reupholstered my seats in two tone leather a few months ago. I had my leather steering wheel reupholstered to match the spice seats. I also got rid of the nasty black seat belts and got front and rear white sets and coated them in fabric protector. I haven't quite decided on the 4 shoulder pads I like best, but for now I'm going with the Tan ones. Here are the pictures.
Jeep Interior.jpg

shoulder pad Tan.jpg

Shoulder pad Whte.jpg

Shoulderpad 4x4.jpg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Ocho
Okay, well I'll play then. I reupholstered my seats in two tone leather a few months ago. I had my leather steering wheel reupholstered to match the spice seats. I also got rid of the nasty black seat belts and got front and rear white sets and coated them in fabric protector. I haven't quite decided on the 4 shoulder pads I like best, but for now I'm going with the Tan ones. Here are the pictures.
View attachment 488979

View attachment 488981

View attachment 488983

View attachment 488984

How much was it?

FYI there's a exceplent place called Julio's near downtown. That has been around for decades and is very very reasonable. They were going to do the entire interior (seats, headliner, everything. For my '66 Volkswagon Bug for $1400.

My seats are still fine. Driver bottom cushion is little soft from age and wear. I installed Bartact tactical seat covers font and rear and they are amazing.
They provide some additional cushion and protect existing cloth. They fit and look great. I really like the mole bags.

Reactions: MikekiM
Nicest reupholstery job I have seen...
View attachment 489848

Belong to @Woodrow

I opted for the Bartact seat covers with heaters. Hindsight being what it is, I was impatient when I bought them and went with the MOLLE grid which was a waste of money. I never mount anything on the grid.

WOW.....
I just threw on seat covers for $160 but damn, now I want to get mine redone like this if it's a market option.
I just PM'd Woodrow to find out.

I've re-upholstered 1 seat out of my 1970 Olds 442 and then couldn't do the other seat so I paid a shop $500 to do it with the new upholstery and foam I provided. Man, I will tell you guys right now the shop doing it was NIGHT & DAY difference because they reinforced the springs, and cushioned around the bars where the hog rings tied into, and the seat felt like brand spankin new VS the one I did where the spring rate (think damper on rough roads) was sloppy

So my point is, paying a professional will definitely be worth it in the long run, because LOOKS aren't the whole story