Has anyone reupholstered their factory TJ seats?

Used para cord and laced it up
149227C6-3AEA-4556-B7F6-29B1A6005613.jpeg

Replaced my oem TJ seats with Corbeau Moab seats thinking it would be an upgrade. Positively Hate them!! Sit like a 2x6 and very uncomfortable! Wish I’d kept the originals & had them recovered. Could have even added seat heaters & still been $ ahead!

Ordered leathers for mine... should be here in the next week or two....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LP393I6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If your seats are uncomfortable there are lots of YouTube vids on restoring your seat’s foam.... anywhere from using a clothes steamer which the heat and water re-expand the squished down foam, to cutting and adding foam using an electric kitchen knife and spray glue... the foam can all be bought on Amazon too (different densities used for different parts of the seat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those early oem seats are pretty cheap in socal. Maybe $150 a set. Not sure around other parts of the nation. That's cheaper than having them reupholstered. Of course you're still stuck with the funky fabric.

If you live near a big city look for upholstery shops there. Enough business for more than one shop to compete. You should have a larger selection and cheaper prices. Here in LA it's pretty cheap comparatively. But I've read from several members around the US that live in medium to small towns. And it's expensive.

I found newer oem 03-06 seats (for my '99) for around $400 in a Norcal junkyard. Off of www.car-parts.com. Shipping wasn't bad. Maybe that was the shipped price IDK. But they are bolt in if you buy them with the full undercarriage part. And they came in nice cloth colors and patterns. Brings your Jeep from the 80's into the 2000's IMHO. And the ones I bought don't need recovering.

So I would look in junkyards for nicer seats before I would reupholster. Unless you can find a shop that will charge you less. Or you really want to make your interior look nice and have the money. I say go for it. I wouldn't mind having mine done down the road - in leather. Front and back. That would be sweet. Just have other improvements to spend money on at the moment.

Reactions: JEG
Unfortunately because of how popular Wranglers are in my area (beach town) there is one dude that buys up all the jeeps that might end up in the junk yard and ends up parting them out for pretty high (in my opinion) prices. Jacksonville would be the closest city and I know there are a few upholstery shops there. The thing about my seats is that because my Jeep is a 1997, it had all vinyl seats not cloth. Spending a lot of time on the beach I would prefer to not have cloth seats that would just soak up the water.

Unfortunately because of how popular Wranglers are in my area (beach town) there is one dude that buys up all the jeeps that might end up in the junk yard and ends up parting them out for pretty high (in my opinion) prices. Jacksonville would be the closest city and I know there are a few upholstery shops there. The thing about my seats is that because my Jeep is a 1997, it had all vinyl seats not cloth. Spending a lot of time on the beach I would prefer to not have cloth seats that would just soak up the water.

I think vinyl is the cheapest auto upholstery. I'd look around Jacksonville for an upholstery shop.

If you decide to go the new seat route. www.car-parts.com is where all junkyards post their stuff. I'm sure you could find any seat you wanted in FL. And either drive to go get them or have them freighted to you. It's not as expensive as you think. But the vinyl issue is going to be your stumbling block. I rarely see vinyl only seats for a TJ. You might have to get whatever you have or get - redone.

This guy is local to Wichita. Might give him a call. http://jeepsusa.com/. Ive got my seats in a shop right now being re-upholstered with a nice vinyl and adding heaters for the 02 TJ.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

Hey jeepndogs... Your seats look awesome. How are they holding up? Any regrets now that you've had them awhile? Also, do you remember what selections you selected on these covers? Looks like perforated inserts with black leather? Also, do you mind sharing what you paid? I assume you did the front and rear? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 1.53.48 PM.png

Also looking for replacement covers for the Apex seats. Haven't been able to find them anywhere