Has anyone smoked a rear pinion bearing as a result of a high pinion angle?

as a result of high pinion angle
-or -
as a result of low oil level because of only filling to the plug on the factory cover that is now lower due to the axle rotation to produce a high pinion angle?

I would think if oil level is adequate, the ring gear should throw enough oil up there to keep it happy.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I’m sure at some point the angles are off where the oil flow is greatly reduced, but I can’t imagine we get that in TJ/LJs on the 2-4” lifts that are common. The ring gear should be throwing enough oil up there.

This is my Dana 44 just as a reference image for anyone who like me before a few months ago had never had my carrier out.

4FA174BE-B540-4CB6-AD32-EB26FBFAEC7C.jpeg

If you saw how the ring gear continually lifts and heaves crazy huge volumes of gear lube over the top of itself and toward the pinion bearing while the axle is rotating you'd never worry about the pinion angle causing a lubrication issue again.
I probably saw this from a link you posted at some point:

This is interesting. I was going to start a thread and ask how you guys fill you highly angled diffs to proper level with the cover slanted so far backwards. This will sound stupid, but I backed my jeep up a very steep grade until the diff looked level, then I filled until oil drained out the cover. I never measured the actual quantity I got into the diff, but slightly less than 2 quarts.

This is interesting. I was going to start a thread and ask how you guys fill you highly angled diffs to proper level with the cover slanted so far backwards. This will sound stupid, but I backed my jeep up a very steep grade until the diff looked level, then I filled until oil drained out the cover. I never measured the actual quantity I got into the diff, but slightly less than 2 quarts.
I'm interested in this also. Is it possible to OVER fill the diff?

Just insert a small funnel into the vent tube opening and pour your oil in through there.

Book calls for 1.7 quarts of fluid. I did not get enough in when I was parked flat on the ground, that's why I parked on high ground and then filled. Think I'm good now.
Mike

I'm certain I've got correct amount of oil in there, but what are the consequences if you do fill too much, Jerry?
I overfilled the front and it leaked out of the axle seals. I replaced the axle seals twice before realizing it was being overfilled 🤦‍♂️

yes, but the consequences are leaking through your tube seals or puking out through the vent hose, so in a way it's kindof self correcting.

I've done the angle-correction method; raising the rear end until the pinion angle was roughly what a stock rig would be, but not sure that's even possible once you've got a TJ wheelbase, tummy tuck, a 4" lift and a 241 case. My LJ's pinion is only about 10 degrees above horizontal so it's not bad.

I think the vent tube method is probably the best. Just wish there was a good way to check the level, cause if you ever have a leak and need to top it off, there's no way to know how much to add. Unless you filled it to the hole, noted how much it took, and then you'd know how much more you have to add from the fill plug level to get full.

My business partner just had a Dana 60 cover made for his race car.
In doing so, they moved the fill plug to a different location.
Might not be difficult to raise it a bit...
output_image1620922136279.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman