Has anyone taken a Rancho RS9000 shock apart?

Dooo eeeeet!

Post pics or didn't happen etc etc yadda yadda.

The why? General interest? Curiosity? Bored to tears, haven't blown something up for a while? Insatiable desire to hack something up?

Reactions: Gilaguy23
They are a gas charged shock, how would you reassemble with no way to recharge them?

Drill a hole In the right place. Drain the shock and capture the amount of fluid. Add whatever weight fluid I see fit. Drill and tap or weld a bung to the shock and fill with nitrogen this is all theory right now. I would need to attach a valve of some sort.

Drill a hole In the right place. Drain the shock and capture the amount of fluid. Add whatever weight fluid I see fit. Drill and tap or weld a bung to the shock and fill with nitrogen this is all theory right now. I would need to attach a valve of some sort.

what's holding you back from buying some used ones and tinkering?

question wasn't for you but a used rs9000 for 30 bucks compared to a fox shock might be a factor

Then after spending money on tooling and parts to try to make it work you won’t be far off from a tunable shock.
Rancho doesn’t even think they are worth repairing and throws them away if a warranty arises.

Reactions: sideproject and L J
This video may interest you. He cuts open some twin tubes. This may help you know what to expect.

Reactions: JustDandee
Like I said this is about my curiosity about how I could maybe change or at least mod an off the shelf part. Hot rodders were swapping oil in shocks 50 years ago. This isn’t a new idea.

i'm on board with your curiosity, not quite sure why some people like to assume what others' motivations are but i say go for it and report back!

i'm on board with your curiosity, not quite sure why some people like to assume what others' motivations are but i say go for it and report back!

I assume his motivation is to change the behavior of the shock, which I would agree with. I am not a big fan of my 9000xl shocks. I say go for it as well, or at least talk with a shock tuner to see if an oil weight change will do what is needed.

• Haha
Reactions: Ocho