California Has anyone taken their TJ to Baja California?

lulzpwndyah

TJ Enthusiast
I enjoy going to Baja California after all I live in Los Angeles so it's a few hours on the road.
Well I have never gone while I have owned my TJ and have always had the thought of going but I worry about it getting stolen. I see people on Youtube doing all sorts of trips out there and I wish I could do the same. Has anyone taken their TJ south across the border? If so where? Any precautions you took before hand? I worry a lot so always want to be aware of what I can expect before i'm actually there. Any group rides down south as being in a group would make me feel a lot safer if this was a thing.

I enjoy going to Baja California after all I live in Los Angeles so it's a few hours on the road.
Well I have never gone while I have owned my TJ and have always had the thought of going but I worry about it getting stolen. I see people on Youtube doing all sorts of trips out there and I wish I could do the same. Has anyone taken their TJ south across the border? If so where? Any precautions you took before hand? I worry a lot so always want to be aware of what I can expect before i'm actually there. Any group rides down south as being in a group would make me feel a lot safer if this was a thing.

@Mr. Bills has been I think, but not sure if he took his TJ.

Haven’t been but I’ve heard stories from people I used to go to glamis with when I lived in CA. Bring cash to bribe your way out of jail.

lol that is always a must i've had to bribe my way out before.
I've tried looking for more discussion online but only found one thread on a different forum and they said to just do a straight drive from the border to ensenada on the highway and to not stop unless for gas but I love stopping to eat in Rosarito

lol that is always a must i've had to bribe my way out before.
I've tried looking for more discussion online but only found one thread on a different forum and they said to just do a straight drive from the border to ensenada on the highway and to not stop unless for gas but I love stopping to eat in Rosarito

I haven’t been to Baja but I been to Rosarito just not in my TJ lol 😂 Rosarito is the best. Great food right off the beach and oh yea Papas&Beer👌

Great food right off the beach and oh yea Papas&Beer👌

hit the nail on the head!
When I go I already don't feel comfortable leaving my wifes car parked while we eat or do activities can't imagine i'd get any sleep with my TJ down there... heck i'd probably sleep in it from paranoia

hit the nail on the head!
When I go I already don't feel comfortable leaving my wifes car parked while we eat or do activities can't imagine i'd get any sleep with my TJ down there... heck i'd probably sleep in it from paranoia

During the day I feel comfortable. Lots of people walking around mostly tourist but in the night I don’t feel comfortable and I’m Hispanic😂 I’ll be paranoid taking my Tj. I’ll probably be waking up every hour. I’ll rather go with a group than by myself.

I'm Hispanic too! Would be cool to gather up a group and head over there for a night because I too would be more comfortable going in a group, everyone else's TJ will be deterrent from mine :ROFLMAO:

hey guys...I live just south of rosarito beach in baja. been living here full time since august 2012. I have a 2002 TJ and a 1993 tracker 4x4. a buddy has a 2019 LJ. we go riding at least once a week in the mountains and have a blast. yes, your concern for theft is warranted, but no more so than in any big city in the U.S. I installed kill switches and use a bar lock. And common sense such as don't park in an unlit area at midnight. come on down, you will enjoy it.If I can help, let me know.

@junknstuf That's really cool man!
Well that makes me feel better seeing as I worry about theft here in Los Angeles too.. The difference is I only park my TJ in my driveway behind a locked gate and don't take it out where it'll be sitting alone too long.
I might have to install a kill switch just for more peace of mind.
I may have to head out and hopefully if life permits maybe we can wheel down there and you can show me around... Any areas you recommend for a novice to check out?
You like by puerto nuevo?

I live about 15 min. drive from puerto nuevo. probably the best is for you to meet up with my group and go with us.there are no road signs/markers,and its very easy to get VERY lost. as I said we go 2wheeling a lot so just let me know,the more the merrier!!

Reactions: Ephry73
The issue is also the cops. Some of those cops may not be all good. I remember years ago I got pulled over in a rented wrangler because of the "gun law" I kept asking the kid cop(he looked like he was 12 years old) which law they were referencing and trying to enforce. Ultimately I gave them some beer and told that that I was leaving. Being latino and having experience with these setups helps. Don't be a dick, but also don't act like you're the weaker one in the bunch either. Don't be flashy and big groups always help

You are correct about the corrupt cops.I have had a few brushes with them. Just remember to be non confrontational and don't offer $ until they mention it. also never give what they ask. go lower, they will take it. I much prefer the bribes here to U.S. tickets/fines/jail/etc. DUI in Ca. $5000 and up plus court $ etc. etc. etc. Here its 200-500 pesos and continue on your way. what a deal!!

Reactions: Ephry73
@junknstuf man I didn't want to outright ask you if I could hang with you guys when I visit but thanks for offering I'd love to meetup down there and offroad get some tacos and some palomas my favorite lol
How hot is it down there right now? I agree about the police... I ran a stop sign once at night down there in front of the police and I was drinking... they charged me 60 bucks and I didn't haggle because it was the first time it happened to me but others i've told have said to offer 20 which totally beats paying 5k here in the US

@junknstuf

What days do you guys usually wheel? I'm ending my employment this week and have a free week next week between jobs... I was thinking of going down Monday and leaving Wednesday would be me and my wife staying at the Las Rocas right south of the military check point.

We are going tuesday at 10 am. Las Rocas is just past my family owned rest/bar. Charlies Place. Do you know it? Great for food and entertainment. Call me at my mex cell # 661 123 6679 and we can make plans.

We are going tuesday at 10 am. Las Rocas is just past my family owned rest/bar. Charlies Place. Do you know it? Great for food and entertainment. Call me at my mex cell # 661 123 6679 and we can make plans.

I read the lines crossing back to SD were terrible this weekend... Do you know if that's the case during a weekday? I'd be returning Wednesday afternoon but if the wait is more than 3 hours long I was thinking of skipping it all together.

I have been to Charlies actually it was some of the most fun i've had down in Rosarito! Jaime was suuper fun the location was great because I almost always stay at Las Rocas.

I have sentri, so no problems for me. But, I hear that its not too bad mon-thurs afternoons. I recommend u ck on line for the wait times to get a more accurate/current answer. You hit it on the head about Jaime! He is the coolist bar owner I have ever known! He is also my brother n law. married his youngest sister 7 years ago. Also, my buddy and I built Charlies Place. We just finished a new 2nd floor 800 sf addition. If u have been there, we may have met, they call me Sarge here. let me know what u plan to do.