Has anyone tested these 4.0 headers and carbs from Cliffords?

Adrian_A

has anyone tested this from Clifford's 6=8 performance?

They claim 120% more torque and horse power as well as 25mpg. And it's a complete kit that's ready to bolt on.

Would this be a good alternative to a full LS swap? I know you won't get AS much performance compared to an LS but its a lot less labor intensive. It's also pretty unique as I have never seen a jeep with this kit.

Does this have any benefits/disadvantages when it comes to off-roading?

1667011856001.png

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd

They claim 120% more torque and horse power as well as 25mpg. And it's a complete kit that's ready to bolt on.

Would this be a good alternative to a full LS swap? I know you won't get AS much performance compared to an LS but its a lot less labor intensive. It's also pretty unique as I have never seen a jeep with this kit.

View attachment 371228

Clifford is a well know vendor and I ran their header and intake on my ex's CJ5 with a 4.2. It wasn't the twin carb version but it still was a nice setup.

IMO if you're going to off-road your rig swapping from fuel injection to carburetors if foolish. You get fuel slosh or flooding when climbing an obstacle many times. I'm not sure how it's going to improve your fuel mileage and HP & TQ as much as they are claiming. And you've still got to tune the carbs based on where you're at. And if you live near sea level but them, go to the mountains to wheel again, you'll have performance issues.

Is it carb legal?

NO

they don't say on the website. I emailed them about this and they just said to check with local testing centers and see what they say.

It had to have pass their testing and have a EO number. They know it's not legal in CA.

Last edited:
they don't say on the website. I emailed them about this and they just said to check with local testing centers and see what they say.

There is no chance in hell this kit is legal for use on-road in California.

Getting an LS swap to pass the C.A.R.B. referee is expensive and tedious.

Going from fuel injection to carbs is going backwards.

I have never seen a jeep with this kit.

I wonder why.

The TJ's JTEC certainly leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to tuning, but it's not leaving any power on the table for anything short of a stroked and forced-induction build.

I'm not sure if this is just lazy website design or if the Clifford folks are trying to pull one over on anyone willing to drop $2k on carbs and an intake, because they make the same baseless and wild claims of "120% horsepower" and "25MPG" for every one of their kits for other inlines as well.

These claims made for this kit are ridiculous. In order to maximize performance (torque and power) or efficiency (MPG), you need to control the air/fuel ratio at as many points in the load (throttle position)/speed (RPM) table as possible. With fuel injection, the tuner has a lot of control, as there is a table in the PCM to specify injector pulse-width at many points. With carbs, the tuner has significantly less control. Needles and jets with differing tapers are swapped out or adjusted, but changes are more coarse (adjusting one thing affects several others).

In addition, electronic fuel injection can compensate for intake air temp, barometric pressure (altitude), engine temperature, etc., while carbs don't. There's no way I'd ever go back to carbs on a vehicle, and there's no way their claims are even close to true...

YMMV (<--see what I did there)

View attachment 371228

I think you are misinterpreting their performance claim. Pure speculation on my part, but the 120% (from your 120% more torque and horsepower comment) is likely not the claimed increase in power, but rather the result when compared to stock. Stock 195 hp x 120% = 234 hp - 20% improvement.

Possible with this setup? Well, maybe - but unlikely. A decent supercharger setup will yield about 40%. And 25 mpg? No way.

So with that, to answer your question, it’s not comparable to an LS swap. Not to mention that as stated above the driving characteristics - especially off road - would be horrible.

Having run twin carbs before and even twin Webers, a well-known great brand, the LAST thing I would do to my TJ is convert from its trouble-free fuel injection system to carburetors. What a huge step backwards that would be in terms of reliability and fuel economy. And if I want a more performance than I get with my 4.0 I'll jump in my daily driver car.

You get style points in my book with that set-up (y)I have ran that header on a XJ it’s a good product. Ran that Weber on a 20r Toyota no issues off road for me. But I think everyone covered the main issues.
  1. Not going to pass emissions
  2. Your not going to beat the reliability, performance of fuel injection.

I ran clifford intake and header on a 258. As for clifford; good quality products & customer service from my experience. I wouldn't believe those claims and I'd never move away from EFI.

The Solex 40 RH carb had remote float bowls with a return fuel pump to send fuel back to the tank.

This kept the common problem of fuel from the float bowl getting into the carb throat during aggressive use.