Has anyone used Newcomer Racing to build a 4.0 stroker?

FireJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone used Newcomer Racing to build a 4.0 stroker? They put up some pretty impressive numbers......

Never heard of them until now. Golen seems to be the go to name for 4.0 stroker engines.

Never heard of them until now. Golen seems to be the go to name for 4.0 stroker engines.
Golen has a great warranty, Newcomer has higher torque and hp numbers.......
I really want the 2.8 Cummins but $20,000 is a bit out of reach for me and my 15 year old LJ

Reactions: MikeE024 and D M
Golen has a great warranty, Newcomer has higher torque and hp numbers.......
I really want the 2.8 Cummins but $20,000 is a bit out of reach for me and my 15 year old LJ

I'd bet you dollars to donuts and then some that those higher numbers are because they are using a dyno that reports higher numbers.

The only accurate dyno as far as I am concerned is a Mustang dyno. Anything else is over reporting, and some are quite dramatic (i.e. DynoJets).

People can claim whatever numbers they want. Put a Golen stroker on a Mustang dyno and it might say 230 WHP, then put it on a Mustang dyno and it would say 250 WHP, honestly.

Don't fall for the numbers, believe me on that one (y)

The R2.8 swap is nice. Several people on this forum have done them, and yes, 20k is about what they've end up costing if you want to do them right.

The benefit is great MPGs :)

The mpgs are great, but the $13-14k difference buys a lot of gasoline. Plus swapping one 4.0 for another is a weekend plus a day or two as opposed to a month. Not to mention I have not found anyone who has gotten cruise control figuredout on the 2.8.....for long trips cc is pretty much mandated......

The mpgs are great, but the $13-14k difference buys a lot of gasoline. Plus swapping one 4.0 for another is a weekend plus a day or two as opposed to a month. Not to mention I have not found anyone who has gotten cruise control figuredout on the 2.8.....for long trips cc is pretty much mandated......

I know, once you do the math on the gas, you start to realize doing a diesel swap for MPGs isn't very cost beneficial. I guess you could run biofuel though if you really wanted.

@DieselJeep has the R2.8 swap as well as someone else (can't remember who). I wonder if he's figured out the cruise control.

I know, once you do the math on the gas, you start to realize doing a diesel swap for MPGs isn't very cost beneficial. I guess you could run biofuel though if you really wanted.

@DieselJeep has the R2.8 swap as well as someone else (can't remember who). I wonder if he's figured out the cruise control.
Last time I texted him he had not..... it is still $20,000😭😩

Last time I texted him he had not..... it is still $20,000😭😩

My only gripe about a 4.0 stroker is having to run premium fuel, which definitely adds more to the fuel cost. Not the end of the world obviously, but slightly annoying I guess.

Reactions: mrjp
Many strokers are designed to run on 87. Just depends on things like the compression, pistons, cam, head, etc. And of course the tune.

How much would it cost to do a V8 swap rather than the stroker? I hate running premium, but there's tons of V8s around here for cheap as donors. Big job, but certainly less than the R2.8. A lot of stuff depends on your skill level though and access to equipment.

I've been looking at a few other diesel swaps lately and the TDI swap seems relatively easy and can be done relatively cheap. I think I saw where 180 hp ie 300+ ft lbs is very easy to do and reliable, if you really want to go diesel. That engine takes a bit longer to produce the ponies, but find a donor vehicle, pull the engine, swap out a few known problematic parts and install new ones and hook the same engine wires back up kind of a thing.

I think the TDI swap would take longer if you don't want to spend $$$$ on a kit. I also would prefer a diesel with more displacement. I'm pretty sure if a 5.9L Cummins was installed in my Jeep I'd get even better fuel economy on the road.

I haven't figured out the cruise, nor have I tried, but several have. However I did talk with Dakota digital and they've got stuff to add for cruise control via GPS, but I've been told not to do it that way. You just need to talk to a few people and you'll probably have to call and get a non-official answer, because no one wants to be liable if there's a problem.

Whats the problem with running premium fuel? Its really crazy to me people aim for more power, tq and want to run 87 octane. Here in Ft Lauderdale, its $.60 difference. On 20 gallons tank that $12 more. Even if you fill once a week, thats $624 annually. Thats negligible on anyones budget

On the 4.0, which tends to be more reliable, the stroker or forced induction from a reputable company? I'd venture to guess you're stuck with premium either way.

What kind of torque curves are normally seen from the strokers vs forced induction?

I think I'd probably lean toward a supercharger for off-road demands rather than a turbo, but I'd guess you'd get a little more MPG from a turbo, but maybe not depending on the torque curve.

You are not going to gain any mpg from any power adder or stroker. The whole "you don't have to push the throttle down as much" logic is wrong.

I have had two strokers and the next time the motor needs redone, I'm probably doing a magnum or LS swap.

Reactions: Chris
It's kind of area dependent and the closer you get to where you want to be off-road, the more ridiculous premium fuel gets.

For me premium fuel means making a trip to get fuel and in a Jeep that doesn't do well with fuel economy the trip might take a couple gallons or so, but nearby premium is probably $1+ than even diesel. If you live in town it's not a big deal.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
If you don't have enough torque where you are trying to drive then you may see a loss of economy, but that's better served with gearing typically in an application like a Jeep where it's on the edge of being under powered for the vehicle.

On turbos and off-road, save for mud slinging paddle tire equipped rigs, it really doesn't factor. Turbos don't hurt low end power, they just don't help in that power range usually. Power adders shouldn't be used to compensate for gearing off-road. On road is a different story, and all but the biggest turbos are going to help you cruise down the highway just fine.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
How much would it cost to do a V8 swap rather than the stroker? I hate running premium, but there's tons of V8s around here for cheap as donors. Big job, but certainly less than the R2.8. A lot of stuff depends on your skill level though and access to equipment.

I've been looking at a few other diesel swaps lately and the TDI swap seems relatively easy and can be done relatively cheap. I think I saw where 180 hp ie 300+ ft lbs is very easy to do and reliable, if you really want to go diesel. That engine takes a bit longer to produce the ponies, but find a donor vehicle, pull the engine, swap out a few known problematic parts and install new ones and hook the same engine wires back up kind of a thing.

I think the TDI swap would take longer if you don't want to spend $$$$ on a kit. I also would prefer a diesel with more displacement. I'm pretty sure if a 5.9L Cummins was installed in my Jeep I'd get even better fuel economy on the road.

I haven't figured out the cruise, nor have I tried, but several have. However I did talk with Dakota digital and they've got stuff to add for cruise control via GPS, but I've been told not to do it that way. You just need to talk to a few people and you'll probably have to call and get a non-official answer, because no one wants to be liable if there's a problem.
We are fixing to do a stroker in one of the builds we did. Projected installed cost at this point is around the cost of parts for a low mileage V8.

Now, lots of folks are going to jump on that but we have a set way of doing things that drive the cost of a V8 swap way up. We don't sacrifice uptravel. We don't skimp on heat control or exhaust. The exhaust installed will cost most folks the same as a stroker sitting on a pallet so you can't really go by how we do things.

It's kind of area dependent and the closer you get to where you want to be off-road, the more ridiculous premium fuel gets.

For me premium fuel means making a trip to get fuel and in a Jeep that doesn't do well with fuel economy the trip might take a couple gallons or so, but nearby premium is probably $1+ than even diesel. If you live in town it's not a big deal.

Makes sense, but to me, the added complexity of a complete motor swap isn't appealing. If I had the money to turn the keys over to Blaine for a V8 swap Id feel would be done right, then Id do it. But, I didn't buy this Jeep for that purpose. Most Ill do is a stroker or basic rebuild with boost.

Reactions: BugoutJeep