Has anyone used Newcomer Racing to build a 4.0 stroker?

The reason we are doing a stroker on this one is to avoid the cost of the V8 swap. That and to try and sneak it past the smog stations. I'm being promised over 300hp and closer to 325 with a high level of reliability. We'll know shortly if that is true.
300 RW HP w/ a NA stroker? Um... I got 169 w/ a Golen Stroker on a mustang dyno (vs 136 for the stock 4.0-same dyno). Golen sent me a video of the motor making 280+ on their superflo engine dyno. It runs well and is a definite improvement but doesn't knock my socks off...

300 RW HP w/ a NA stroker? Um... I got 169 w/ a Golen Stroker on a mustang dyno (vs 136 for the stock 4.0-same dyno). Golen sent me a video of the motor making 280+ on their superflo engine dyno. It runs well and is a definite improvement but doesn't knock my socks off...
Where the fuck did you ever see RW in anything I posted? I'd have to start with 500 crank to get 300ish RW.

Where the fuck did you ever see RW in anything I posted? I'd have to start with 500 crank to get 300ish RW.
Figured. So here's a question: is the parasitic loss through the drivetrain expected to be a percentage of power a the crank or a constant HP. As an example, if you have 225HP at the crank and get 150 RWHP with motor A, and then swap in motor B with 300 HP at the crank and no other changes, then with motor B, should you end up with 225 RWHP (constant 75HP loss) or 200 RWHP (33% or 100 HP loss)? Based on my experience and your expectation above, percent loss seems closer to reality, but why? I initially thought the same drivetrain would exert the same resistance and the same speed but I guess more force through the system also causes more resistance. Or something else?

So would you say the stroker is worth the $10,000 price tag? I realize the Golen motor is $7,000 or so, but with new radiator, etc. a realistic budget would be closer to $10,000 I think.......

136 WHP would indicate a 28% loss to the drivetrain from the advertised 175 BHP which seems fair. You’re describing a 65% loss of power from 280 BHP to 169 WHP which would indicate something is very wrong with your setup.

So would you say the stroker is worth the $10,000 price tag? I realize the Golen motor is $7,000 or so, but with new radiator, etc. a realistic budget would be closer to $10,000 I think.......
Short answer: No. And $10K is close once you add in shipping, clutch or whatever various little things.

But, my Jeep now has significantly more performance on the road. The butt dyno likes driving it better than the actual numbers suggest. If you have the skills, swapping in a good used LS likely offers better bang for the buck. I don’t have those skills, yet. This project is hopefully a step in that direction. Also, in my reading, many V-8 swaps seem to be full of frustrating issues to sort out, while the stroker was truly a bolt in affair. If you are moderately mechanically inclined, it’s very straightforward. My TJ runs and drives like stock but with extra power. One thing I recommend: don’t replace everything just because you are changing the motor. If it works, reuse it. That will save you confusion. These things (TJs) really are sensitive to particular replacement parts. You can easily and unwittingly cause a problem with a new part (e.g. cam position sensor, O2 sensor, transmission mount, etc.) and think it’s your new motor.

Last edited:
136 WHP would indicate a 28% loss to the drivetrain from the advertised 175 BHP which seems fair. You’re describing a 65% loss of power from 280 BHP to 169 WHP which would indicate something is very wrong with your setup.
Yep. However, my Jeep does drive really well. Feels like stock with more power. I spoke to Chad Golen about the numbers and he wasn’t surprised. Also, on a mustang dyno, the shape of the TQ and HP curves and fuel mixture (lambda) are pretty much as expected according to local folks who tune for a living. Another interpretation of this data is that 0.6 liters of displacement (+15%) and a slighter hotter cam really don’t increase power by 50% in a tractor motor. Finally, the conditions Jeep used for their crank HP ratings and those Golen uses (superflo engine dyno with no accessories, stand alone fueling and open exhaust) may not be directly comparable.

Last edited:
Are any of the people running strokers using an air fuel gauge? HP Tuners? A/F can tell you a lot.
We looked at the tune (w/ HP software) a little and nothing seemed way out of whack. I do plan to work with a tuner to see if there are some gains to be had but I doubt anything earth shattering will come of it.

Blaine, did you ever end up getting the stroker in? If so, any objective numbers to report or subjective impressions?

Reactions: Chris
The reason we are doing a stroker on this one is to avoid the cost of the V8 swap. That and to try and sneak it past the smog stations. I'm being promised over 300hp and closer to 325 with a high level of reliability. We'll know shortly if that is true.

Hi there, hope you are still on the page. I’m curious as to what the out come was on your stroker motor. Did you get the power and torque as promised and what was reliability like. Thanks

Discussions with my builder about folks that want an 87 octane build are along the lines of "why bother?".
The only reason I can think of, and its not a common problem, is the availability of premium fuel in some remote locations. I don't think its sold nearby at one of the places I go for extended trips.

The only reason I can think of, and its not a common problem, is the availability of premium fuel in some remote locations. I don't think its sold nearby at one of the places I go for extended trips.

Against the law to carry some octane booster?

I have a 4.7 stroker with a turbo. It runs perfectly fine on 87 if that's all I can get. I ran it that way for almost a week back in November when I was at Big Bend.

Reactions: SvtLdr