Has Anyone Wrapped Their Exhaust?

Igoo65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever wrapped their exhaust header to keep temperatures down or is it one of those mods that doesn’t matter on a Jeep 4.0?
Thanks,
Igoo65

We wrapped the headers on my son's 88 Bronco 3 years ago. He drives in mud and spends a lot of time at the beach. A few weeks ago he had to rewrap a section of one header and there was no rust. I think the heat dries any liquid pretty fast so even salt water does not rust the header.

Reactions: Duke-TJ and Igoo65
Won’t make any discernible difference on a TJ, gauranteed.

This isn’t a track car seeing sustained RPMs and red hot headers. You’ll gain nothing from it on a 4.0.

Reactions: Igoo65
i've had that stuff on my mustangs headers for 20 yrs now. when I recently unwrapped them to replace it as the wrap was fraying I noticed the alumakote coating showed some rust spots but they got covered anyway. as far as performance it can help to reduce underhood temps as many a time while working on a hot engine I was thankful for not getting burned off the headers

I think that most of the concern about wrapping and rust is that if it sits, especially outside, for a long time between drives.
On my other vehicles (that have automatics), I always wrap the portion of exhaust that routes in front of the tranny pan (why do they always go that?) to keep some heat off of it.

That said, it seems like I always have a bit of wrap laying around so, I do wrap my air intake tubes. Just to keep some heat off of those too.