Has enyone successfully set up an aftermarket temp gauge?

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Alright, I’ll be honest. I’m fed up with the stock temp gauge and it’s low, med, high shit. And I’m tired of draping my code reader over my leg so I can watch the temp. I know the PCM outputs a numerical ECT. Has enyone successfully set up an aftermarket temp gauge? I want to be able to see my temps cause I’m trying to trace a overheating problem (figure out if it’s actually a problem and when it’s a problem) and the factory temp gauge only tells me when it’s to late.

I never added an aftermarket gauge but don’t see why you couldn’t remove the stock sender, install a Tee fitting then reinstall the stock sender along with and aftermarket sender for the new gauge. keeping the stock sender should keep the PCM happy.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I use my iPhone and an App called DashCommand. My phone already rides in a holder usually with a map app.

It talks to an ODB-II dongle I bought for cheap.

It provides all kind of useful information. This is just one screen as an example.

There are other apps that do this. This is the only one I have used. You can do things like view stored codes. Reset codes. Plus all the gauges. Hell of a deal for the price. Maybe this will be enough for ya.

https://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/
IMG_0501.PNG

If you’re reading off the OBD port would that not give you the same temp from the unknown factory sender?
It would, but I’m not so much worried about the factory sender, as the factory gauge which basically has a low, med and hi switch.

What overheating issue are you trying to solve, what have you done to solve it, what parts specifically were used?
I have a More detailed thread, but basically the Jeep is running on the hot side of op driving and runs into red when sitting. I have replaced the thermostat twice (Stantly unit from orileys, couldn’t find a MOPAR.) upper and lower radiator hoses (gates) water pump, (I believe also gates, the only MOPAR I could find had a plastic impeller), fan clutch (Hayden) and had the coolant professionally flushed. The radiator is still what came in the Jeep when I got her (I believe OEM, plastic jugs and aluminum core, no telling if it’s been replaced)

down here where the ambient is 100 and something and the humidity is through the roof, it’s more than she can handle. I’m looking for ways to monitor/fix the problem. I figure it’s hard to fix it if you’re struggling to tell what it is.

Someone posted recently that their new Hayden fan clutch was bad. After engine is fully warmed up, turn it off and try to spin the fan. It should be very difficult to turn.

Is it holding coolant, or are you losing any?

Someone posted recently that their new Hayden fan clutch was bad. After engine is fully warmed up, turn it off and try to spin the fan. It should be very difficult to turn.

Is it holding coolant, or are you losing any?
No evidence of leaking, though I’ll double check. I hear the fan a lot more then I used to, So I assume it’s working, but I will check it later today and report back.

Alright, I’ll be honest. I’m fed up with the stock temp gauge and it’s low, med, high shit. And I’m tired of draping my code reader over my leg so I can watch the temp. I know the PCM outputs a numerical ECT. Has enyone successfully set up an aftermarket temp gauge? I want to be able to see my temps cause I’m trying to trace a overheating problem (figure out if it’s actually a problem and when it’s a problem) and the factory temp gauge only tells me when it’s to late.

I have the Torque App which is similar to the one posted already i enjoy the customization of the Gauges. i have yet to use it in a TJ but it worked awesome in my Mini.

I have the Torque App which is similar to the one posted already i enjoy the customization of the Gauges. i have yet to use it in a TJ but it worked awesome in my Mini.
Could you link the dongle that plugs into the OBD2? I found the app but I’m having a hard time finding the transmitter portion.

One of my friends had an '89 XJ (probably 10 years ago now) with the dummy light gauge cluster which just had a giant fuel gauge, speedometer, and dummy lights, no temp gauge. What we did was put a 'T' fitting in where the temp sender threads into the thermostat housing, and put in a sensor for an aftermarket Autometer temp gauge that we mounted in a gauge pod on the A-pillar. It worked very well, and gave accurate readings verified with a temp gun. He had a build thread on another forum, I'll see if I can find the pics of the setup.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ