Has the TJ reached classic car level?

Byhumba

Learning phase
Supporting Member
It is the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that people walked up and said “how much ?”
Me too! I've had people ask me "how much?"on only two vehicles...my 1994 YJ (which I sold to get my TJ), and twice my current 2003 TJ

97' 4 Popper

TJ Enthusiast
It is the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that people walked up and said “how much ?”

My very first jeep I didn't know anything about anything at all. I knew enough to know it was overkill for what I was initially looking for, but for the most part wranglers in general had been invisible to me. A few days into ownership a guy walked up to me and asked "how much for those rims" and my butt puckered up. From that moment on I knew something was going on. For crying out loud why you asking me about trading rims.

Yes they are fancy rims. :oops: How can I make this conversation end. He also asked me how much I paid for the whole jeep.

Fishtaco

TJ Addict
Like virtually ALL things with wheels, the less you've tinker-fucked with it from its stock configuration, the more desirable it will be to a much wider audience. By default, this will make largely "Stone Stock" TJ's much more in demand, due to the fact that EVERY swingin' dick thinks THEIR mods are the BEST mods...

I always laugh when I see guys that on the ONE hand think their modded Jeep is worth a bubillion dollars - then after it languishes on whatever FS Forum they've chosen to try to quit themselves of same, they settle for 1/2 to 2/3's of what they THOUGHT it was worth. These same guys, when they go to replace the monstrosity that they overbuilt, look for...wait for it...AS Stone Stock a TJ as they can find...
I like stock and I believe am in a minority! I actually only 4x4 sometime when I get the chance to go camping and we don't really rock crawl in Australia. all my mods are cosmetic, seat covers decals sun shade steering wheel cover and stuff that can be remove in seconds, I am quite enjoying making my export stock look like a US stock, my most expensive add on will be new OEM front fogs that didnt come with the export. My 65th came fully optioned from the factory with higher specs than the Sahara and I appreciate its capabilities for what they are not for what it could be.

25 Years in Australia for Classic 35 for vintage and 45 for veteran but to be honest Classic status really stopped as soon as all vehicles started to look the same in the 1980,s but wranglers up to TJ overseas are deemed as a classic due to their original look without having to be a "Retro" re release of a car that will never be a Classic in looks or enthusiast value no matter the age.

Plus I am getting old! lol

Fishtaco

TJ Addict

Definition of a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Florida​

Prior to registering an antique car or a custom-built vehicle in Florida, motorists are encouraged to get familiar with the difference between these types of vehicles and the specific requirements that they must satisfy.

Licensed Florida drivers can apply for an FL antique vehicle registration and special vintage license plates if the car they own is for private use, is at least 30 years old and has been manufactured after 1945. Vehicles that are used for private purposes and manufactured in 1945 or in the previous years will be considered ancient vehicles.

Owners of ancient vehicles may obtain special horseless carriage license plates. Custom car registrations, on the other hand, are needed for vehicles 25 years old or more and date from the years after 1948, or for cars that were manufactured with the purpose to resemble such vehicles.

Drivers may also apply for a custom vehicle registration when they own street rods. A street rod is a car from the year 1948 or older or manufactured in order to look like the vehicles from that age. Both the custom vehicles and the street rods may be modified from the original model and may have a body re-manufactured from non-original materials.

This is the main characteristic that differentiates custom-built cars from antique vehicles.
In Western Australia to have a classic/veteran/vintage authorised vehicle classification you need to be part of a Car/Bike club and it needs to be judged every few years as its status in category with original safety features being front foremost, this is of course to get cheap insurance a sticker to keep the cops off your back and almost zero road taxes and licensing fees.
I gave up on my 650 Bonnie as the inspector judges are Wanking themselves more and more over their internet knowledge rather than appreciating your pride and joy!

Reactions: John Cooper