Has this been modified?

ctcomputers

Previous owner had stripped a bolt on one side of the transfer case skid plate and broke another on the other side :(. I guess the only positive is it was opposite sides. I'm trying to figure out my repair options. I'd also like to know if this is factory or some sort of welded insert?

KIMG0755.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation. Should I be able to grind it off flush and punch into the frame? Or would it be better to try to knock just the tacks loose and try to get under an edge and pull/pry it out?

Ultimately I'm after the best method to get a replacement inserted. Maybe I'll be able to do the same on the other side that has the broken bolt. I haven't looked closely at it yet.

Can I also drop the skid off completely without any additional support while the vehicle stays parked? If not, what's the best place for a jack or stand as I didn't want to put pressure anywhere that I should not.

Appreciate the help!

Followup to my own question(s) for anyone that might not know about the inserts such as myself. I was able to easily grind off the head of the failed insert nearly flush with the frame and then punch it through to the inside. I also fished out the piece with a flexible magnet through a side frame hole. The insert hole measures .631" so it appears to be ready for a replacement 1/2-13 insert when they arrive. Hopefully the replacement will go as smoothly as removing the old.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Be sure to use grade 8 hardware when you make your tool to set the nutsert. I had to replace one for my auto trans skid once and tried using a grade 5 bolt because that's what I had laying around. It didn't work and I had to make a trip to the hardware store for some grade 8 hardware and use another nutsert.

I ordered the kit from Black Magic Brakes and if I remember correctly, they have a link on their page on how to make the tool. I keep it in my tool box now in case I need it in the future.