Hatchet and machete

ErikOffroad

TJ Enthusiast
I’m looking for a hatchet and machete to clear out some brush and some trails. Any recommendations from you guys. I don’t want to spend too much money. Let me know what u guys have. Possibly some amazon links. Thank you
Stuff with sheaths would help so I can keep them in my Jeep with out having to worry about it.

Reactions: Mumblewood
The cool kids like Gransfors Bruks. I like my Husqvarna hatchet.

I have an Estwig hatchet my friend gave me for being in his wedding. I like it but usually bring just a cheap Carona machete for early season trail clearing and yard duties

Reactions: Sancho
I’m looking for a hatchet and machete to clear out some brush and some trails. Any recommendations from you guys. I don’t want to spend too much money. Let me know what u guys have. Possibly some amazon links. Thank you
Stuff with sheaths would help so I can keep them in my Jeep with out having to worry about it.
A folding saw used for pruning can be just as useful on the trail. Something like a Silky or Bahco, even a cheap chinese saw will make quick work out of most things. Folded they are under a foot and pretty safe to toss just about anywhere.

I prefer a chain saw but a bow saw takes up a lot less space and does a lot more work with less effort than most other hand tools.

Reactions: pagrey
harbour freight
That machette from HF is great. Hasn't rusted in over a year, has a gnarley pull saw blade on the back, and the price is right. The sheath it came with is a POS. But I bought a much better sheath on Amazon for like $11.
I can carry a chainsaw too. Both definitely have their place.

Screenshot_20200405-114709.jpg

IMG_20191222_151042806_HDR (2020-01-10T20_33_05.143).jpg

Last edited:
I got mine from Home Depot, works every bit as well as friend’s 80-100$ brand name for under $20.

Reactions: Apparition
I don't even bother with the hatchet anymore. I keep a folding Sven saw in the Jeep for cutting limbs out of the way/collecting firewood. Then I just use my Becker BK2 to baton through firewood.

The saw cuts much quicker and with less effort than the hatchet. Especially when it comes to hard, dead wood.

Reactions: pagrey