Hauling my junk around

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
We spend a fair amount of time out in the backwoods in the TJ, and a problem we always face is keeping our Junk organized. No matter what we're trying to grab, it seems to always be at the bottom of the pile in the back. That's especially true if it's one of our longer road trips.

I may have come up with a solution. Hope so, I'm about 400 bucks into it so far. Anyway, here ya go. Organization for the organizationally challenged.

First, how to de-pile the pile? A shelf!

This is a Guide Gear ATV rack. Half of a two piece set. Fits perfectly in the back, and still allows the soft top to fold down. The welds are sketchy, but sufficient and the paint is shyte. It'll work fine though.

That divides the rear into an upper and lower section without a lot of weight. Two appropriately sized tubs will fit just fine underneath and the shelf provides some security.

Next up is how to hang a gas can and water can back there. Enter the Motobilt NATO gas can holder.

These things are hell for stout. The welds are short arc'd and works of art. It holds a gas can tightly in place, and works with the steel Wavian cans and the plastic Sceptre cans. Lots of holes for mounting in different positions too!

A set of quick fists on each side for the shovel and axe, and a double rifle mount across the front and all the bases are covered.

More as the rest of the parts get here and assembly starts.

Gonna follow this but I am having difficulty in what the end product is/will be.
Right? I kinda just barfed that out, didn't I.

The ATV rack mounts in the back, where the rear seat usually is. The flat, open part faces to the rear and is about even with the back of where the rear sports bars tie into the body. This leaves room behind the seats to get stuff into and out of the rear foot wells. The rack is mounted above and clears the wheel wells by some amount to be determined by the height of the box (s) that will slide out from under the rack. The front of the rack will be supported by uprights tied to the seat mounts. The two gas can mounts will be positioned one on either side against the rack side rails. The shovel will mount to the outside of the rack on one side, the axe on the other. The double rifle rack mounts on the front of the rack, horizontally. Does that help a little?

That's the plan, subject to first contact with the enemy, of course.

Just some additional ideas, because organization is the crux of small cargo space.

I use cargo netting at the top for a jacket, rain gear, poncho liner, etc. And a cargo net on the driver's side window for a sleeping pad and tent. Overhead gun rack. Seat cover with Molle attachments. For a weekend with the dog and GF, I have to at least add hitch mount cargo so we can have more luxuries. This will turn into the Gobi rack once it's ready.

I love your idea for the shelf. Is this a top off approach? Moryde has some stuff for the tailgate that I think is really cool for additional cargo stuff you can hang off of your tailgate.

Just some additional ideas, because organization is the crux of small cargo space.

I use cargo netting at the top for a jacket, rain gear, poncho liner, etc. And a cargo net on the driver's side window for a sleeping pad and tent. Overhead gun rack. Seat cover with Molle attachments. For a weekend with the dog and GF, I have to at least add hitch mount cargo so we can have more luxuries. This will turn into the Gobi rack once it's ready.

I love your idea for the shelf. Is this a top off approach? Moryde has some stuff for the tailgate that I think is really cool for additional cargo stuff you can hang off of your tailgate.
Any pics?

Here's a few I found on my phone. None are directly looking for that stuff. Like the one with the trailer, if you zoom in you can see the sleeping pad and tent. It's all messy, but sometimes I go through and reorganize stuff. There's a lot of subtle stuff that I'll tie off to the bars as well, though the Moryde molle stuff may overtake that system sometime.

Cargo Netting.jpg

Deer Season.jpg

Load Out.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I might add that I have an extended range tank and diesel, so my range is closer to 600 miles highway. So I don't carry many fuel cans anymore. I want the capability to carry some fuel, but I'm not worried about it right now.

Reactions: matkal and StG58
Right? I kinda just barfed that out, didn't I.

The ATV rack mounts in the back, where the rear seat usually is. The flat, open part faces to the rear and is about even with the back of where the rear sports bars tie into the body. This leaves room behind the seats to get stuff into and out of the rear foot wells. The rack is mounted above and clears the wheel wells by some amount to be determined by the height of the box (s) that will slide out from under the rack. The front of the rack will be supported by uprights tied to the seat mounts. The two gas can mounts will be positioned one on either side against the rack side rails. The shovel will mount to the outside of the rack on one side, the axe on the other. The double rifle rack mounts on the front of the rack, horizontally. Does that help a little?

That's the plan, subject to first contact with the enemy, of course.

Similar to this?

b912a077-28de-4fb3-81a0-6dcb11c4868f-jpeg.jpg

You could probably make a basket for the tub area as well that's on rails so you can easily access it.

Do you have a gear list by any chance?

Which net is that?

Personally I've just been using cheap cargo nets for overhead storage. I plan to add some overhead brackets for Coms too.

I like your setup. Having the dog in the back has limited some of my options, especially since I can't store any food back there without her getting into it. I'm thinking about getting her a box and splitting the back with her box and an ARB fridge/freezer. She needs about 24" H in the box to stay comfortable, but I'd like get one a bit taller cuz the males of her breed are taller and we've been thinking of getting another male, since the last one we had passed recently.

I don’t want to take away from StG58’s post, so just one quick answer - it’s https://store.dirtydog4x4.com/?target=category&category_id=23

Not cheap by any means, but my dogs are my kids.
We think of our dogs the same way. I always use a harness with them and secure them to the body in different ways. They always unbuckle seatbelts so I have to be a bit creative. The box I was looking at can be secured to the body in case of a crash, but I couldn't really put her in her harness in there without risking her getting wrapped up.

I really like that cargo netting. I think some OD would be pretty Bad *ss.

Reactions: Serbonze
I worry about the netting some though. I can see my dog pressing her head into those and then freaking out once she's tangled. Also I've been wanting a barrier, because she's a pain in the Jeep trying to sit with me. She wants to be on my hip in a vehicle and she'll go for hours trying to get to me. I have kinda been thinking about doing expanded metal to keep her in place or a box.

Here on the wet side the top needs to be able to go up. The forest is kind of unique in that the needles on the trees have evolved to condense moisture out of the air. Combine that with Pacific ocean moisture, and it drips on most days. So ya, top up or top down.
Yup, like that. Different style, and larger though.

Reactions: MikeM