Hauling my junk around

How are you securing your basket? I used uni-strut channel in my truck to help organize a bit, but you may be able to find some tube clamp ends or something and then just set your basket on top and bolt it to the channel pieces. Not sure it'll work that easy up front though. Maybe you can hang something down to hold it like all thread.

Reactions: StG58
How are you securing your basket? I used uni-strut channel in my truck to help organize a bit, but you may be able to find some tube clamp ends or something and then just set your basket on top and bolt it to the channel pieces. Not sure it'll work that easy up front though. Maybe you can hang something down to hold it like all thread.
Once I figure out the height thing, I'll probably fab up brackets and a cross bar for the end by the tailgate, and tie into the seat belt retractor bolt holes. The other end will be more interesting. Probably fab up some square tube risers and tie into the seat mount bolt holes. We'll see...

It's times like these I wish I 3D modeled my Jeep and completely planned everything out. It's a lot of work. If I'm going to fab something kind of complicated I do often draw it, but a Jeep would take awhile. I was working on some bumper/tire carrier stuff in the past and modeled it, but I haven't done anything else. All the radii and stuff I think would turn the model into a pain to measure. My next big fab project will probably be an off-road utility trailer and I do plan to draw it up first and layout what I intend to mount in there to figure out a good layout And try to figure out some geometry issues.

It's times like these I wish I 3D modeled my Jeep and completely planned everything out. It's a lot of work. If I'm going to fab something kind of complicated I do often draw it, but a Jeep would take awhile. I was working on some bumper/tire carrier stuff in the past and modeled it, but I haven't done anything else. All the radii and stuff I think would turn the model into a pain to measure. My next big fab project will probably be an off-road utility trailer and I do plan to draw it up first and layout what I intend to mount in there to figure out a good layout And try to figure out some geometry issues.
A 3D jeep model would be absolutely killer! Solve a ton of issues (while creating more, lol) with prototyping mods up.

On the subject of trailers, a guy down the the street has a bantam trailer. I keep eyeing it with a little lust in my heart. The issue with it is that while it's the perfect size, off road capable and very stout, it's very heavy. Looks just right behind his YJ though. The military tires on it have got to be expensive.

The Bantam has been on my wishlist. We've got an old Willy's CJ too. There's a bunch of plans on the internet, I may try to take some of the basic dimensions, but change the axles to 5 on 4.5 and lighten the load up a bit. I'm still in planning stages though, but I think honestly I want 2 trailers, one that's a bit bigger like a tear drop with AC, because the GF isn't thrilled with no AC. I can get away with it some with the doors or top off of the Jeep, but not sure that would fly May-October around here for her.

I've got some varying ideas on what I want though for the trailer, I was also thinking about making it a size that I could throw on a small topper and sleep in there too, but I see a lot of people really like the RTTs. Basically I'm in idea overload, but that's part of the fun too.

It's a slippery slope brah. I went from The Clampetts

To "lets build a jeep trailer out of someone's else's junk!"

Trying to make the wife happy and not sleep on the ground anymore, ugh!

And then finally to full retard.

So my story goes, "Guess who got their way in the end?"

All fun aside, I like your storage ideas, so I'll be watching Stig!

Update: The other can carrier arrived and both are at the powder coat shop getting treated and coated. Dennis said it may take a couple of days because it's a "government job" and he wants to do the full meal deal on it. He restores old Chevy trucks as a hobby and does impeccable work. Another bonus.

It looks like I'll be using 80-20 struts to fab up mounts. It's pretty cool stuff, we build a lot of work area furniture with it and it's light weight and very strong.

Link: https://8020.net Check the stuff out. Pretty amazing for this type of thing. Great for building custom work benches and the like.

Reactions: Serbonze
We use that 80-20 at my work for form a framework to hold lexan for manchine guards, stands, shelves. Pretty handy stuff.

80-20 is great material for sure.
Are you mounting the basket off the top of the tub or using the 80-20 between the sport bar uprights?

80-20 is great material for sure.
Are you mounting the basket off the top of the tub or using the 80-20 between the sport bar uprights?
Right now I'm planning on using 80-20 between the sports bars. Going off the tub would jack up the ability to put the top up and down as needed. It would be nice to have options to mount other gear solidly to the 80-20 as well. At least, that's what the picture in my head looks like right now.