Have you ever added up how much money you’ve put into your TJ?

That's something you don't want to put on paper , anywhere the wife can find it.
On a recent trip away with my daughter , sitting by the fire at the dam pictured , she asked me what I would do when my TJ has had it.
Whether I'd buy a stocker and build it , or swap the good stuff on mine , with the stock stuff , and sell mine?
I said I'd build a stocker, no point putting thrashed parts into a new build.
She asked how much that would cost. I added up what would be needed, the total shocked me, over $20,000 just in parts.
TJ prices in Australia are going nuts , $14,000 for a stocker with 100,000 miles , before covid , would have gotten $8,000
20190108_075853.jpg

I have a Google sheet with every part # I’ve put on it along with the prices. I purposely don’t have that column totaled. I know how to find the answer if I wanted to know it.

what’s sad is how much I have on my CJ spreadsheet for a project which sits unfinished. :(

You have in the money pit we call the Jeep? The wife says the cost of buying my 2004 (About 3k with taxes) plus all the stuff I've bought plus the new paint job its almost 9k.
Uh, why would we do that? Put your calculators away. This is about Jeep life.

Besides, you're not even close to me. I started at $12K

Reactions: Alex01 and Irun
You have in the money pit we call the Jeep? The wife says the cost of buying my 2004 (About 3k with taxes) plus all the stuff I've bought plus the new paint job its almost 9k.
How’d you get an ‘04 rubicon for 3k?! Thats nuts!! Over in Washington you couldn’t get even a pile of garbage of a rubicon for less than 6k

How’d you get an ‘04 rubicon for 3k?! Thats nuts!! Over in Washington you couldn’t get even a pile of garbage of a rubicon for less than 6k
2004 Jeep wrangler SE 2.4 I've never had a rubicon. I got my 04 because the frame was rust free which is very rare in Maine.

My body ( to much arthritis)) couldn't handle wheeling so having a rubicon would be such a waste. I just bang around town and during the summer I drive the 30 minutes between my house on the lake, and my other house.

So when I just did my "build" unlike most here I didn't do a lift kit, winch, and other wheeling upgrades. I sound proofed, put on new LED lights, new powder coated fenders, and a lot of other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I have a spreadsheet with all the main items so I keep things into perspective when shopping for mods.
The jeep was £2.5k and I'm into it about £5k now

For better or worse I keep a spreadsheet. I have about $7k total into it now including purchase price, taxes and title. I have about $1700 more I'd like to put into it not including swapping in a hemi.
Then I have a separate column adding up the costs of the parts I've been collecting for the hemi swap....
That'll be interesting!