Have you ever added up how much money you’ve put into your TJ?

My TJ hasn't cost much so far, because I've only owned it a little over a year. I have owned Jeeps for 15 years now, so I'm well aware of the cost, but I've never added it up. I started to on my second XJ which had a lift, larger tires, etc, and I had to stop about halfway through the folder out of disappointment. :LOL:

Two things I remind myself of whenever I think about what I've spent on Jeeps:

1. I've never had a car payment
2. Drugs are more expensive and will ruin your life quicker

Reactions: 707kevin and 5632
no, but I've added up what it would cost me to build it again at retail prices (basically excluding the things I did twice or that I'd do differently but also not counting money I saved with good craigslist deals) when I was deciding whether to sell my TJ as-is and start over with the LJ, or to move my entire build over to the LJ and return the TJ to stock. It was about $11k on top of the purchase price.

I'm swapping the build over to the LJ.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I keep a spreadsheet that calculates cost of maintenance and upgrades and all that jazz. It is kind of scary to see how much I've spent on this jeep in the 2 years that I've had it (more than what I paid for it), but for maintenance and replacing wear parts alone it's averaged $100/mo which is way less than a car payment, so... win!

Reactions: WSS
I keep a spreadsheet that calculates cost of maintenance and upgrades and all that jazz. It is kind of scary to see how much I've spent on this jeep in the 2 years that I've had it (more than what I paid for it), but for maintenance and replacing wear parts alone it's averaged $100/mo which is way less than a car payment, so... win!

I only put the forecast in my spreadsheet and delete stuff as I buy it so I don't have to know.

I'll one up ya.
My wife is the one that wanted us to buy our first Jeep.
And the one that wanted us to upgrade to the TJ.
You guys gotta pick your wives better... :LOL:

My husband has three boats, so there's not a lot he can say when I tell him I'm buying something for the Jeep.

Reactions: 707kevin
I would rather fall weiner first in a badger hole....
a2f8035bd33203e51a1b84f61fbd694f.jpg

Reactions: AndyG
Here’s the trick - you do tell them you want something for the Jeep, but something fairly inexpensive and innocuous. That will throw them off the trail. They will think, ”well, if he won’t buy that for himself he‘s probably not buying expensive stuff...”
^ This is a great post- as well as others saying similar.

Along these lines- I think it is smart to never discuss a friend's plans or upgrades with someone you share finances with as anything you decide to purchase in the foreseeable future will be attributed to keeping pace.
Also - and this is nothing you don't know but... broken and worn out parts definitely need to be upgraded.
A small but important home improvement project can open some doors for negotiation/spending.

A small but important home improvement project can open some doors for negotiation/spending.
To offset what I‘ve got into my beast, I think I‘d have to negotiate building a wing onto the house...