Having a Spark Issue, need help diagnosing

cgoins3224

Hi, I have a 1999 TJ (Automatic Trans) only about 83k miles on it but I'm having a problem getting spark from the coil once in awhile. I can be going down the road and the whole engine will cut out. Sometimes for 2 seconds or multiple minutes. If I'm at speed it will even just come back on if the spark comes back. So far I've changed the coil and sanded the grounding wire contacts and made a new ground wire but none of that has solved the problem. Feel like I'm chasing a ghost so hoping one of you may have had this issue before and know the answer, Thanks in advance!

A CAM sensor works in sync with your CPS sensor. If its out of whack it can cause a loss of spark.

Are you throwing any CELs?

Sorry a bit new to this not sure what CEL means, but I have no codes in the computer ever for this vehicle.

CEL = Check Engine Light. I believe the 98 and 99 models require an external code reader to find out if there is anything stored. What brand of Coil did you use as a replacement?

CEL = Check Engine Light. I believe the 98 and 99 models require an external code reader to find out if there is anything stored. What brand of Coil did you use as a replacement?
The CEL will come on if it stalls for too long, but I've taken it to two places to read the codes and they say the vehicle has never thrown a code for anything.
Replaced with Standard brand. Identical issue as before even after replacing.

TJs are very picky when it comes to electrical/sensors. I'd replace with a mopar brand.

Have you broken out the multimeter yet? The coil should be getting 5V with the key in the on position.

TJs are very picky when it comes to electrical/sensors. I'd replace with a mopar brand.

Have you broken out the multimeter yet? The coil should be getting 5V with the key in the on position.
It has 5V but the problem is intermittent so I've only once very briefly been able to see it without spark with a tester. By the time I got the multimeter out it was working again.

And as far as replacing with Mopar brand I'd find it odd to have the same problem with a different coil. I had to replace the fuel pump once only to have 3 fail in various ways.

If its getting 5V then I would be prodding the Crankshaft sensor (CPS) and the Camshaft sensor (CAM). The computer won't send a signal to the ignition coil to spark unless it's seeing signals from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor

If its getting 5V then I would be prodding the Crankshaft sensor (CPS) and the Camshaft sensor (CAM). The computer won't send a signal to the ignition coil to spark unless it's seeing signals from the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor
I can try but the problem is on and off, i had it idling for 30 minutes the one day next to me and it never stalled so hard to tell what it is because it's not constant and of course nothing ever doesn't work when you try and find the problem lol.