Hawk Pride 3/13/21

RHanna

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Drove down to Alabama for our first ride in the Jeep we purchased last year. We met up with some experienced Jeepers so we had someone to follow and help out if needed.

Loaded up and ready to go

IMG_2300.JPG

One of the racers going through the finish line

This was early on, I thought I had the rear lockers engaged. I kept hitting the button but nothing ever lit up and I could see my driver rear tire not moving while trying to get up. I had another button that I had no idea what it was for and guess what that was the rear locker.
IMG_4318 (2).jpg

First time using winch

Before I figured out how to get my rear lockers working I had to turn around.
IMG_4322 (2).jpg

IMG_4320 (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4295.MOV
    7.3 MB
  • IMG_4305.MOV
    7.8 MB
  • IMG_4307.MOV
    10.8 MB
Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Hawk Pride is a lot of fun. Do you know what trails y'all ran?
I think the one I had to turn around was fattys creek or something like that. Once my locker started working, I don’t know which trails we were on. I was just following the guy that goes there a lot.

We had to back out of one trail for some side by sides to get out which was a lot of fun. That’s where I destroyed my emergency brake.

There is a fatty's crack trail,. Fatty's is probably my favorite trail at the park (Brian, we did not do it on New Year's day). Fatty's is behind the check in building and out past all the cabins, it is opposite side of most of the trails. You take the SxS demo trail half way around then you drop down a steep dirt/rooty trail that you have to climb back out of at the end. If you did Fatty's, you did very well and you might want to get other ride partners if they took you on that trail right off the bat :p

This picture is maybe 50 feet from the beginning of the fatty's crack trail and it is tough to get from the beginning to here, that Samurai is on 37's.
fatty 1.jpg

Fatty's was originally cut in by SxS riders as a SxS trail and it is pretty tight, I am turning left in this picture and you can't see it but you have to straddle a v notch, then it gets harder from there:
fatty 2.jpg

Fatty's is currently not shown on the Hawk Pride map, but here is the location:
fatty's crack.PNG

Reactions: Chris
@gasiorv
Thanks for the updated map. I was wondering where it was located. I was told to turn around but that's when my locker wasn't working (and they knew that). Even with the locker it's probably good that I skipped it. I was following a couple guys from west TN, that's where I grew up, and a guy out of West Monroe, LA. Their rigs were built more capable and they had a lot of years of experience. I followed a couple of them in Windrock last fall. He knows I'm a rookie so whenever I needed to take the by-pass he would let me know.

We were stuck behind some SxS that were struggling at the beginning of Fatty's. One of them was pulling a tree out of the ground using a winch if that gives you an idea of their skill level. The main guy we followed got out of his Jeep and told them if they got out of the way he'd show them how to drive up it.:LOL:

We went on a few more trails after that. I just don't keep track of direction or where I'm located while rock crawling apparently. We later were stuck behind a few more SxS and had to back out of the trail. That's right, I had struggled to get past a tree and ledge and then I had to back my jeep out and do it again. I wasn't to happy about that but there wasn't much we could do about it. And that's where I shredded my emergency brake.

I am in the Memphis area and get down to Hawk's pride a few times a year. Post up if you are all ever heading down that way, I am always wanting to meet more West TN off-roaders. Hawk's Pride is actually a great little park. Problem is the access roads get too muddy, the rocky trails stay pretty great even after rains, but those access roads and that Alabama clay makes for slick tires and hours of cleaning afterwards. When it is dry in the summer (or even frozen in the winter) it is great time!!

Reactions: RHanna