Headlight “Look” Showdown: Stock vs LED

I went for the KC Hilites H4 purely for the look and chapter price than the Gravity's. The Gravity is easily my favorite looking headlight but were a bit more than I wanted to spend.

tempImageNgEDXW.jpg

Reactions: Scout734
Properly adjusted LED bulbs in stock or stock-style housings will be best. The LED must be properly oriented in the lens to get the light going in the right direction. I upgraded all the bulbs in my 2011 Ram with bulbs from Headlight Revolution, the company in the video above. With silverstar ultras i had to use high beams just to see anything. With the LEDs my low beams are twice as bright as the ultra high beams and don't get flashed because it's still the stock housing. The problem I'm having in my 97 TJ is the plastic adjuster is broken and I can't find another one. Any sources???
You'll have to buy the whole bucket. Ebay or Amazon has them for about $60.

Does anybody make a "warm" light colored led?
No, 6000 or 6500 is the norm. At least I've never seen one. 4500 or 5000 is "warm". I've seen other lights in warm colors, but not a headlight bulb.
I don't like 6000 either. It makes the world look like the contrast is up too high for me.
I've got 90/ 100 watt halogens, and they work for me.
Edit!
Upon further research, I find that KC Gravity headlights are indeed 5000K. However, they cost almost $600. If you have the money, they would be the way to go.

Last edited:
You'll have to buy the whole bucket. Ebay or Amazon has them for about $60.

No, 6000 or 6500 is the norm. At least I've never seen one. 4500 or 5000 is "warm". I've seen other lights in warm colors, but not a headlight bulb.
I don't like 6000 either. It makes the world look like the contrast is up too high for me.
I've got 90/ 100 watt halogens, and they work for me.
Edit!
Upon further research, I find that KC Gravity headlights are indeed 5000K. However, they cost almost $600. If you have the money, they would be the way to go.

I have one other suggestion for those looking for a modern night driving experience while not sacrificing the cold weather reliability of a warm halogen. J.W. Speaker of New Zealand, have a heater element in the lens that can supposedly melt snow x2 as fast as a regular light. The link below is for their website for the TJ version. I am happy with the lightbar I have from them. But at a grand including taxes and shipping? I would love to hear it anyone went with these. I am also very happy with my $80 Amazon Specials.

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evo-2-db/

Trying to bring us back on topic again ...

@mynamesrickgrimes , did you find your answer?

Anyone else have comments about most stock-looking LED options?

"Headlight “Look” Showdown: Stock vs LED"​

Thought this was the topic?

I get those who want to keep a jeep stock. I have never looked at a new jeep and thought, "I would keep it just like that." I respect those that do and enjoy looking at them...20 years later. I don't think this is a "which LED headlights look most like stock and therefore is best" post. I like a merge of old and new, so look looks-wise, I'll take the clean bright LEDs every time. And now that they function like standard lights...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the classic look and was really close to going with the hella lenses. I ended up trying out a set of Grote LEDs though and have been happy.

View attachment 243222

View attachment 243223
That’s a very good stock-ish look. It looks like those sit about the same depth as the stock lights too which some of the LEDs I’ve seen don’t. Is that true?

Reactions: Rowan River
That’s a very good stock-ish look. It looks like those sit about the same depth as the stock lights too which some of the LEDs I’ve seen don’t. Is that true?
Yeah they sit pretty much as far back as the stock lenses. No issues with the trim ring screws being blocked.

D875FD4F-3488-407A-BE09-B555A7081772.jpeg

86923CE9-DA71-441A-A79C-28ECCEEAF4BB.jpeg

Reactions: joelachr
I'm in the lighting industry and have actually done some testing for a couple of the manufacturers of LED headlights. I run the Pro Comps in all of my Jeeps. They outperform any other light I have tested in quality of beam pattern and lumen output. If there is one criticism of them, it's the separation of low to high beam. The low beam cutoff is extremely sharp and adjusted properly, they do not affect oncoming drivers. The high beam performs like a lightbar... Major punch that can reach out past 1/2 mile. If you need to hit someone with brights, they will shit their pants.

As for the original question, I agree the Grote will be the most stock looking LED, because it is a reflector style lamp, not a projector style lamp. This gives you the silvery look over the entire headlight. And they perform decent too. This is also very similar to the Quadratec headlight, although the Q-Tecs have a black bar across the middle instead of chrome which will detract from the appearance a little.

As for the Pro Comps, here are a couple shots from my street. There are no street lights on my street and the signs you see at the end are 1/2 mile away. There is no auxiliary lighting in these photos.

Notice on the low beams how sharp the cutoff is on my hedge to the left... And solid punch way down the road. Mind you, I have never been flashed with this setup.

PC low.JPG

Now the high beams... Notice the hedge, the trees on the left and the right and down the road. Check out the signs and the power poles... My street does have a notable tilt to the right for water runoff so these aren't brochure quality images.

PC high.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in the lighting industry and have actually done some testing for a couple of the manufacturers of LED headlights. I run the Pro Comps in all of my Jeeps. They outperform any other light I have tested in quality of beam pattern and lumen output. If there is one criticism of them, it's the separation of low to high beam. The low beam cutoff is extremely sharp and adjusted properly, they do not affect oncoming drivers. The high beam performs like a lightbar... Major punch that can reach out past 1/2 mile. If you need to hit someone with brights, they will shit their pants.

As for the original question, I agree the Grote will be the most stock looking LED, because it ts a reflector style lamp, not a projector style lamp. This gives you the silvery look over the entire headlight. And they perform decent too. This is also very similar to the Quadratec headlight, although the Q-Tecs have a black bar across the middle instead of chome which will detract from the appearance a little.

As for the Pro Comps, here are a couple shots from my street. There are no street lights on my street and the signs you see at the end are 1/2 mile away. There is no auxiliary lighting in these photos.

Notice on the low beams how sharp the cutoff is on my hedge to the left... And solid punch way down the road. Mind you, I have never been flashed with this setup.

View attachment 243249

Now the high beams... Notice the hedge, the trees on the left and the right and down the road. Check out the signs and the power poles... My street does have a notable tilt to the right for water runoff so these aren't brochure quality images.

View attachment 243251
Can you share the details of Pro comp light set up you have and also what all parts would be required.
I am using pillar mounted Ridgid industry pod lights carefully angled too low to compensate for the not much light from stock headlight.
But I wanted stock headlight to be upgraded so I don't have to rely on those pod lights.

I really like the classic look and was really close to going with the hella lenses. I ended up trying out a set of Grote LEDs though and have been happy.

View attachment 243222

View attachment 243223

Those look better than any I've personally seen. The bar in the middle I think is what makes it. It blends in with the rest of the reflector.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pressurized and Mac
I will try and remember to do that. I’ve only had them a month or so. I attached a pic of them at night. Low beams.

View attachment 243239

If that is your low beam, you will be blinding every sedan driver to your sides through their side mirrors.
Hope you will never run into one who had it enough with retards driving with unadjusted lights.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Mac and J R
Can you share the details of Pro comp light set up you have and also what all parts would be required.
I am using pillar mounted Ridgid industry pod lights carefully angled too low to compensate for the not much light from stock headlight.
But I wanted stock headlight to be upgraded so I don't have to rely on those pod lights.
It's the Pro Comp 76402P and available from many of the common Jeep vendors. It is plug and play for a TJ or a JK (H4 to H13 adapter included) and doesn't require anything added to install. They also have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. That sells them to me right there...

They do not "look" at all like stock lights as they are a projector style headlight. Photos below closer up.

In the TJ.

close up.jpg

In my hand in the kitchen...

IMG_4030.JPG

Last edited:
It's the Pro Comp 76402P and available from many of the common Jeep vendors. It is plug and play for a TJ or a JK (H4 to H13 adapter included) and doesn't require anything added to install. They also have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. That sells them to me right there...

They do not "look" at all like stoick lights as they are a projector style headlight. Photos below closer up.

In the TJ.

View attachment 243269

In my hand in the kitchen...

View attachment 243273
Thanks for details. Prices seems to north of $270+ 🤔 I may have to wait to get them...

"Headlight “Look” Showdown: Stock vs LED"
Thought this was the topic?

Aha, maybe it's the title that's throwing off the thread. From the OP, the main question was which LEDs look most like stock.

"No doubt that LED headlights are brighter than stock. HOWEVER... who has retained the stock headlights for the more classic look and feel?"​

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

Those look good! Got a link to where you bought them? Or just off Amazon?