Headlights come on dimly after setting all night

Sbcole

I turn on the lights and they come on as normal but when I turn the switch off they go back to dim (8.2 volts), I’ve changed the switch out with no luck, if I pull the under hood fuse they go off and stay off till the next day, any ideas where to look next?

I turn on the lights and they come on as normal but when I turn the switch off they go back to dim (8.2 volts), I’ve changed the switch out with no luck, if I pull the under hood fuse they go off and stay off till the next day, any ideas where to look next?

Here is the latest, If the lights are on, I pull the under hood fuse, the lights go out, put the fuse back in and the lights stay off until the next day then they are back on. So I started pulling the fuse out over night then when I put the fuse back in after being out all night the lights come on, then I pull the fuse and they go off. It seems like it builds electrical power when it sets

Is this new vehicle, with an old problem; old vehicle, new problem all of a sudden; or old vehicle, new problem but I was just recently working on something else?

What year Jeep? What kind of lights? Led? Tell us more this sounds interesting

99 tj, I recently replaced the stock headlights with LED’s. When I noticed this occurring I moved the relays around with no change, I did replace the headlight switch in the dash with no luck

Your relay jacked up?
There's no relay in the factory headlight circuit. Just a switch and fuse. And LED headlights draw less current than the factory incandescent headlights so there's no benefit to adding a relay like there was with high wattage incandescent headlights like many of us, me included, used to run.

@Sbcole try removing the battery connectors and wire brushing them together with the battery posts. They might be dirty, corroded or even just too loose.

Last edited:
99 tj, I recently replaced the stock headlights with LED’s. When I noticed this occurring I moved the relays around with no change, I did replace the headlight switch in the dash with no luck

Which brand leds? Quality of these lights vary from awful to fantastic. Price follows.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford