Heat barrier and sound deadening recommendations

Following along because I want to at least do my transmission tunnel and tuffy console. Since installing the tuffy I’ve found it just radiates heat and kills any cold drinks!
To insulate my drink holders, I found some foam coozys (coozies? cozies?) in the correct sizes, trimmed them down to fit, sprayed some 3M adhesive, and that was that. No more heated water bottles or mobiles.

To insulate my drink holders, I found some foam coozys (coozies? cozies?) in the correct sizes, trimmed them down to fit, sprayed some 3M adhesive, and that was that. No more heated water bottles or mobiles.
That’s a great idea, I assume you found some hard shell ones to make them that semi permanent?

I just ordered the 80 and some of the 150mil foam that I plan to put up the firewall and trans tunnel. The plan is to lay down the butyl in all areas and the foam in specific areas where heat is an issue. As well as new weatherstripping to replace my torn and leaking ones.

1620864897065.png

Reactions: Wildman
In other words, it has been done before and this spread of misconception needs to stop.
Whether it applies to you or not, i don't know.

As long as you don't claim that your butyl did anything to stop heat/cold transfer - you are a good boy :)
Settle down old lady. Placebos have proven to work almost as well as the real thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
I'm gunna try the Lizard Skin product on mine. I've read and heard good things about it. They coated a Blazer on Trucks I think it was. There are YouTube videos showing people doing both the heat & sound coatings. I'm more worried about the heat so that is the coating I am doing.

https://lizardskin.com/
I got mine from JEGS
This looks expensive on the surface. However, once you add up the cost of tape, mat material, and time, it's not that bad!

This looks expensive on the surface. However, once you add up the cost of tape, mat material, and time, it's not that bad!

Yep and there are arguments both ways. Just want to kill the sound just do that coating. Want to cut down on the heat do that coating. What BOTH? Then lay down both. And they were very helpful when I called. I got one of the kits with the spray gun & mixing wand.

After dunking my rig and not getting the carpet dried all the way it STUNK.

Reactions: Irun
Look into www.carinsulation.com the stuff blocks 97% of heat and also some sound deadening. Its used by the hot rod community. Its very economical. And very light weight. I used 3m spray adhesive. Just a bit to hold it in place.

Under it i used second skin sound deadener. But it sounds like you dont want that much weight.

Reactions: Irun
After dunking my rig and not getting the carpet dried all the way it STUNK.
This is one of the primary reasons I like BedRug. If it gets wet you'll never have to worry about getting the musty smell. I've run it in multiple TJs and LJs, and even had it in the bed of my RAM truck. I can't say enough good things about it. FWIW, it's also going in my current TJ build, but I need to sort out the floor insulation first.

Reactions: Tob and Wildman
Look into www.carinsulation.com the stuff blocks 97% of heat and also some sound deadening. Its used by the hot rod community. Its very economical. And very light weight. I used 3m spray adhesive. Just a bit to hold it in place.

Under it i used second skin sound deadener. But it sounds like you dont want that much weight.
This appears to be a viable and economical solution. I'm going to look closer at this one...thanks!