Heat barrier and sound deadening recommendations

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I'm putting together a daily driver that has the Savvy UA on it. Given the proximity of the down stream catalytic converter and muffler to the tub floor, I'm thinking heat insulation and sound deadening would be a good thing. There are lots of choices out there, so any pointers on products and installation procedures would be appreciated!

Reactions: Tob
I used the Noico stuff for sound deadening. I also insulated the center console, and added a bit of rubber hose around the shift lever and some foam under the shift pattern cap-it was pointing directly at my right ear and was entirely annoying. Most of your noise and heat is coming from the transmission and the firewall, so insulate as high up the firewall as you can. The doors are noisy as well, but I didn't want to add the weight to the doors. I wasn't really insulating for heat, just noise, though I did replace the carpet with the heaviest mass backing I could get (ACC carpets).

Each product has a decent online tutorial vid to help you with the install. This is the perfect time to do it-not too cold, and not hot or humid.

Reactions: D M and Irun
Explore blocking heat before it gets to the tub, also. Heat shields, unless you already have them, and/or wraps help contain and send heat down pipe. They are usually lighter in weight and can have positive results.
I have the stock heat shields in place and am looking to augment them. However, I do like your point about dealing with the heat before it gets to the tub. Seems like I saw something on this here recently from someone, maybe @mrblaine?

I recently installed some CSI heat shield insulation. The noico and similar products have good reviews but I wanted something less permanent. I did use a liberal amount of aluminum tape on the tunnel just to add a little extra layering.
20210503_205250.jpg

Reactions: glowell222
I have the stock heat shields in place and am looking to augment them. However, I do like your point about dealing with the heat before it gets to the tub. Seems like I saw something on this here recently from someone, maybe @mrblaine?
Yeah, but unless you're willing to pull the tub, pretty much ignore my stuff.

Reactions: Irun
I'm gunna try the Lizard Skin product on mine. I've read and heard good things about it. They coated a Blazer on Trucks I think it was. There are YouTube videos showing people doing both the heat & sound coatings. I'm more worried about the heat so that is the coating I am doing.

https://lizardskin.com/
I got mine from JEGS

Reactions: Irun and D M
Following along because I want to at least do my transmission tunnel and tuffy console. Since installing the tuffy I’ve found it just radiates heat and kills any cold drinks!

Reactions: Tob and Wildman
Following along because I want to at least do my transmission tunnel and tuffy console. Since installing the tuffy I’ve found it just radiates heat and kills any cold drinks!

I had the same issue. My reason for the Lizard Skin over other options was that I have sunk my Jeep a few times and I was worried how the other types of heat barriers would handle being dunked in water like that.

Reactions: rasband
I had the same issue. My reason for the Lizard Skin over other options was that I have sunk my Jeep a few times and I was worried how the other types of heat barriers would handle being dunked in water like that.
Lizard Skin was my initial plan a few years ago - then I decided not to do anything until that upgrade. As is always the case, one upgrade leads to at least one other!

Reactions: Wildman
eastwoods sells some thin heat reflective sticky back that only weighs like 1/2# a sq ft. but it's almost double the cost of the low end crap.

I did noico 80 mil sound deadener all over the floorboard. Id say I got like 99% of it so I didn't skimp out. I then covered it with Bedrug carpet and I'm really happy with how it turned out sound wise and temperature wise. It retains inside temps a lot better and keeps outside temps out. The other day I was driving with my AC on (granted I had full doors/hardtop) and I rolled down the window and didn't even realize it was 80 degrees out according to my tstat. Same for when its cold out and I have the heat on. Floorboards don't get hot at all either. I love it :)

Reactions: Tob and Wildman
Will close the plug before NOICO fanboys start spreading their misconception just like they do in every thread.
Butyl and closed cell foam are two different things.

Butyl is heavier, will reduce rattles and add sound deadening. It has NO - ZERO- NONE heat insulating properties.
Foam is lighter, will reduce/eliminate heat transfer and add sound deadening

Will close the plug before NOICO fanboys start spreading their misconception just like they do in every thread.
Butyl and closed cell foam are two different things.

Butyl is heavier, will reduce rattles and add sound deadening. It has NO - ZERO- NONE heat insulating properties.
Foam is lighter, will reduce/eliminate heat transfer and add sound deadening
Not sure if that was meant as a dig at me but yes the noico is heavy if weight is a concern. I added about 45lbs to the jeep with just noico alone

Reactions: glowell222
noico is heavy if weight is a concern. I added about 45lbs to the jeep with just noico alone
Probably should have been clearer in my original post. Keeping heat down is my top priority. If I can get sound deadening as well, all the better. The extra weight would be a deal breaker at almost 50 lbs!

Reactions: Wildman and D M
Probably should have been clearer in my original post. Keeping heat down is my top priority. If I can get sound deadening as well, all the better. The extra weight would be a deal breaker at almost 50 lbs!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I simply noticed less heat from the trans tunnel and floorboard in general when I did sound deadener. I feel as though it helped insulate a bit better is what i was trying to say. I get what youre saying about the weight

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Not sure if that was meant as a dig at me but yes the noico is heavy if weight is a concern. I added about 45lbs to the jeep with just noico alone

before NOICO fanboys start spreading
It has NO - ZERO- NONE heat insulating properties.
In other words, it has been done before and this spread of misconception needs to stop.
Whether it applies to you or not, i don't know.

As long as you don't claim that your butyl did anything to stop heat/cold transfer - you are a good boy :)

• Haha
Reactions: D M
Weight was one of my big requirements also. I was about to change out my bedrug for some ACC mass backed carpet. When I found out how much the carpet weighed I quickly changed my mind. Bedrug does squat for heat but is really light. The foam I added probably weighs less than 4lbs so I figure I still lost a couple pounds from stock.

Reactions: Irun and D M