Heat coming through floor vent

fourmustangs

TJ Enthusiast
When running down the highway with the A/C on (Texas) the A/c blows cold thru the vents of where I tell it to, but I get hot air coming out the lower vent at my legs?
If I tell it go to the floor it mixes with the hot air..

I havent find a similar problem posted on the innerweb... or the title not be a match.

It may not be in the vents. Check your firewall.. from inside above the pedals. There are rubber grommets that wires and steering shaft pass thru. If you’ve got a lifted Jeep, the steering shaft changes angle and will pop that grommet out. Engine heat comes thru directly to your legs/feet. Feels like floor heat but it’s engine heat coming thru firewall. Other wire/cable grommets may have been punched thru or fallen out over time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCsTJ
If you were stopped and could feel it blowing out at the vent, then it isn’t the grommet/firewall problem.. sounds like maybe your vent tubes came apart somewhere, and it’s drawing in ambient air temperature.

I have this issue as well. Looked like all my grommets to the firewall were there though. Like fourmustangs said, putting my hand or feet right near that floor vent I can feel the heat mixing at the vent opening.

elmerfudd_web.jpg
a Hunting we will go...lol

Living here on Maui we have little use for a heater unless we go all the way up Haleakala. I put a valve outside on my heater line and I keep it shut most of the time, no hot water circulates. I know it likely heats up but at least it's not moving.

check the opening for the shifter. The seal on mine is bad and I get hot air that I can feel blowing in near the console area. Also the transmission hump usually gets very hot. I run mine without carpets and my legs feel like they are gonna cook lol.

Maybe this will help.. looks like maybe a vacuum actuator or Blend motor/door.. good luck!

Last edited:
Can’t link from other forums I guess..

Go to “WranglerForum” and search there. Good thread about it.

check the opening for the shifter. The seal on mine is bad and I get hot air that I can feel blowing in near the console area. Also the transmission hump usually gets very hot. I run mine without carpets and my legs feel like they are gonna cook lol.

I do have a cut up inner shift boot/Floor pan cover that certainly does not help the heat coming in to the cabin. I was not able to find the replacement for a 2003 -2006 model. the only ones I see are the older model circular ones like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGJM830/?tag=wranglerorg-20

link doesnt work....but def could be the actuatorView attachment 46168

The actuator? hmm is this what controls the mix of hot and cold air? I wasn't able to find much in the my FSM.

Actuator.PNG

It may not be in the vents. Check your firewall.. from inside above the pedals. There are rubber grommets that wires and steering shaft pass thru. If you’ve got a lifted Jeep, the steering shaft changes angle and will pop that grommet out. Engine heat comes thru directly to your legs/feet. Feels like floor heat but it’s engine heat coming thru firewall. Other wire/cable grommets may have been punched thru or fallen out over time as well.

i just thought about looking this up and my jeep's grommets around the steering shaft dont stay in place and I can't seem to figure out how they are supposed to stay put, any ideas on what to do? I have no air and it gets pretty hot down in the pedal area.

Grease the shaft then use great stuff spray foam in a pinch.