Heater Core Bypass

leojeeper

Supporting Member
I believe my heater core has a pinhole leak in it. I'm not seeing any coolant, but I do smell coolant when first starting out, but then it dissipates.

I'd like to install a bypass setup where I could bypass the heater core when I don't need heat. I'm thinking something similar to what my water heater in the camper has on it. It uses two of these valves like I've attached below. Does anyone know whether these could handle the task? I know the pressure will be significantly less than the camper system, but I wasn't sure about the temp.

Thoughts? Seems like it'd work in theory.

s-l1600.jpg

I believe my heater core has a pinhole leak in it. I'm not seeing any coolant, but I do smell coolant when first starting out, but then it dissipates.

I'd like to install a bypass setup where I could bypass the heater core when I don't need heat. I'm thinking something similar to what my water heater in the camper has on it. It uses two of these valves like I've attached below. Does anyone know whether these could handle the task? I know the pressure will be significantly less than the camper system, but I wasn't sure about the temp.

Thoughts? Seems like it'd work in theory.

View attachment 406852

I had the same issue, sweet smell at start up and foggy windows at times. I replaced the heater core on my TJ and it was an all day job for me.

My heater core has been bypassed for two winters now. Very rarely miss it. Usually the the only thing I wish I could do is calm down the air conditioning on mild days. Full cold or nothing.

Reactions: Zorba
My heater core has been bypassed for two winters now. Very rarely miss it. Usually the the only thing I wish I could do is calm down the air conditioning on mild days. Full cold or nothing.

Been debating this, but since I rarely need the heat in TX it's been deprioritized. But there are times when I would like the A/C to chill, so to speak. Hadn't considered that the heater core would be needed for that.

Same here. I've noticed that if you crank the heater control all the way over to hot, it *does* mitigate the A/C slightly - guess its heat conduction from the engine compartment.

Been debating this, but since I rarely need the heat in TX it's been deprioritized. But there are times when I would like the A/C to chill, so to speak. Hadn't considered that the heater core would be needed for that.

Without the heater core the A/C works fine but it will only blow full cold so on mild days the A/C can be too cold. Not a big deal.