Heater Core Leak

That is pretty cool. I'd probably only have the valve open to use heat 4, maybe 5 moths out of the year here in SC.

I wonder if they make a manually activated version of that.

They do. Its the cable operated one pictured in post #12. $38.50 vs. $115 for the servo operated version.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Putting the servo operated one on a small timer would be perfect, full flow at start up to circulate the water through the core, then shuts off after 30 sec after startup. then just bypass it during winter months for normal operation. The Ranger vacuum controlled unit would be good as you could have it off/bypass when A/C is active.

I have heard that TJ heater cores are a common problem from a mechanic friend. Is that generally true? From this thread it also seems like the replacements are junk? is the recommended practice to go with a Mopar replacement?

I think it was posted earlier, cable controlled.

Hello @billiebob, I am writing from Hungary. I have a TJ 4.0 (probably there are only 10 jeeps in the country) and have the same problem. Currently with bypass. I think your idea is extremely good and I have a question. What are your experiences so far? Is this a practicable and safe way to reactivate the heating? What do I have to consider? Are there any problems with the cooling of the engine? I am grateful for any information. Best regards from Hungary, Edgar

IMG_20190820_192701[1].jpg

IMG_20190820_192718[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mots
Brilliant idea, I had never seen this done or this thread before. Subbed for hearing about how this works as a longer term solution.

Brilliant idea, I had never seen this done or this thread before. Subbed for hearing about how this works as a longer term solution.
Hello mots, Still working. No rust. No leak - all good. I'll leave it that way now - the winters are getting warmer and warmer in Europe - that's enough for heating. I have expanded the bypass in the meantime. Bypass Heater Core - new heating

Hello mots, Still working. No rust. No leak - all good. I'll leave it that way now - the winters are getting warmer and warmer in Europe - that's enough for heating. I have expanded the bypass in the meantime. Bypass Heater Core - new heating
Hi there, sorry, never saw the question 2 years ago. I'm not on the internet much either but this made to my email. soo

I did mine as a stop gap for a few months before committing to the pull the dash thing. It worked better than the heater heater. The AC condensor?? is bigger than the heater core so it puts out wayy more heat. Off the AC coil I got 130F, after putting in the new heater coil I only got 100F. 130F is not enought to burn you.

Definitely no issues with the factory rad, engine cooling, no different than upgrading to a bigger rad.

PS, ya have to give up the AC

IMG_2893.jpg