Heater core parts question

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
So I replaced my heater core earlier this year after it completely failed and have since been religiously checking for signs of another leak. Earlier today I noticed one and my heart stopped for a moment thinking I’d have to pull the entire dash and do the job over again, but it was thankfully just the upper heater core hose. I tried to give the screw clamp I used (since I couldn’t find correct fitting constant tension clamps at the time) a tighten but it’s still leaking. I’m looking to replace both upper and lower screw clamps, as well as hoses, with some high quality parts. Anyone have the correct part numbers for the 4 clamps and 2 hoses? The core is Spectra I believe since OE just flat out isn’t available any more. Much appreciated.

I would think Gates hose would be good, but I’ve never used them on the Jeep, just other vehicles.

I bought these MOPAR heater hoses and each one came with the clamps for each end.

Hose 1

Hose 2

Reactions: Chris
Good luck with the aftermarket. I've bought a number of them and most of them are wrong. The AC Delco, Gates, Dayco, etc, all use "will fit" offerings that either don't have the bends in the correct place or offer a 5/8" hose where a 3/4" is called for. I use the Breeze CT9410 (5/8") or CT9412 (3/4") Constant-torque clamps but the cheap spring-loaded OE versions won't leak either. If OE hoses are still available - worth every penny!

Amazon lists these as the wrong hoses for a 98 4.0, just want to make sure they’re correct before I order.

I can’t say for sure about a ‘98. They were perfect on my ‘06 with 4.0.

Amazon can be wrong on their fitment info.

Let me check something real quick...

I looked on some of the MOPAR online parts stores at a ‘98 with 4.0 and the ones I went to didn’t even show hoses for a 4.0, except one, and it did show a different part number. But it did look the same.

I know earlier models had a different heater core, but I’d imagine the location of the pipes exiting the firewall would be very close to the same.

Something that you can do is go to Rockauto and look up the heater hoses for your ‘98 and make a note of the part numbers. Then look up an ‘06 and see if the exact same hoses (brand) and see if the part numbers are the same. If they are, the Amazon ones should be fine.

I always thought they were the same for all TJ 4.0’s.

Maybe some more experienced TJ-er’s can chime in.

I looked on some of the MOPAR online parts stores at a ‘98 with 4.0 and the ones I went to didn’t even show hoses for a 4.0, except one, and it did show a different part number. But it did look the same.

I know earlier models had a different heater core, but I’d imagine the location of the pipes exiting the firewall would be very close to the same.

Something that you can do is go to Rockauto and look up the heater hoses for your ‘98 and make a note of the part numbers. Then look up an ‘06 and see if the exact same hoses (brand) and see if the part numbers are the same. If they are, the Amazon ones should be fine.

I always thought they were the same for all TJ 4.0’s.

Maybe some more experienced TJ-er’s can chime in.
One of the hoses is the same, one is different. Ordered the Gates hoses since I used them for the radiator with good results, and the corresponding constant tension clamps. Hope this fixes it.

Reactions: MountaineerTom