Heim joint questions!

Reidminer

TJ Enthusiast
Hi everyone!
So a couple questions regarding Heim joints in a steering setup. I got this Jeep in January 2021 with the steering setup as you see it in the pics I attached below. The previous owner only put about 900 road miles on it before selling to me, and as I’m a young(23) guy with dreams bigger than my wallet, I bought it as a replacement for my totaled TJ, which I daily drove, and continue to do with this one.

Problem is, this is the first wrangler I’ve DD with Heim joints. And talking to a few mechanics who are off road enthusiasts as well, they seem to say Heim joints are great…for off roading. Due to being pure metal on metal, they wear quicker when daily driven.
Which is evidenced in my Jeep right now. Lately, very occasionally I’ll hit a bump or pothole going 35-40 and the wrangler will start shaking, won’t stop until I slow down.
According to one mech buddy, Heim joints like these should be pretty tight, ie hard to get movement under pressure or on a lift. Mine? Oh, they’ve got play. The worst is the link dropping from the steering box, it has quite a bit of ‘slop’. The other links all have a bit of play, which can be moved simply by turning them with the hand, but less than the first.

So questions,
Is there a relatively easy, yet quality way to replace these?
Do they all need to be replaced? Or could my death wobble be tied to that one real bad Heim joint?
Would replacing with Heim joints best the best option(cheapest) short of replacing the whole steering setup?
Are Johnny joints a possibility in this equation?
Any input would be highly appreciated. I’ve had it on a floor jack and wiggled everything else I could, ball joints, u-joints and such all seem to be good and solid.
9FB55FEB-AD9F-49FB-BD54-7958EC889F6B.jpeg

E6214B81-7466-4387-8D3A-116A74DBEACC.jpeg

697C3C3D-2562-4A33-8A64-124B449B2635.jpeg

E90F9DF4-6641-47AD-B71B-9FC62FA383EB.jpeg

As posted above returning to the stock style steering is your best option. Crown sells a HD steering kit for around $169. If you have the budget the Currie steering would be the best you can get. A new pitman arm will be about $30. I can't tell what track bar you are running or the condition. That may need addressing also. Hopefully the PO didn't drill out the steering knuckles. If they did you would need to replace those as well. They're a little over $110 new or you can usually find them around $40 at junkyards. Just check that they don't have severe divots unless your have a welder to repair them.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
As posted above returning to the stock style steering is your best option. Crown sells a HD steering kit for around $169. If you have the budget the Currie steering would be the best you can get. A new pitman arm will be about $30. I can't tell what track bar you are running or the condition. That may need addressing also. Hopefully the PO didn't drill out the steering knuckles. If they did you would need to replace those as well. They're a little over $110 new or you can usually find them around $40 at junkyards. Just check that they don't have severe divots unless your have a welder to repair them.

To further complicate this mess, that is a Dana 44 from something other than a TJ Rubicon. Going back to stock TJ steering isn't as easy as throwing TJ parts at it.

Interesting okay. I would definitely prefer to go high quality even if it means a bit more cost, I want it to last. It isn’t a stock TJ axle though, it’s a Dana 44 from a 87’ Wagoneer so I’ll have to see what options for that. I am starting to think a replacement of the steering setup altogether is the better option

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
To further complicate this mess, that is a Dana 44 from something other than a TJ Rubicon. Going back to stock TJ steering isn't as easy as throwing TJ parts at it.

That is correct unfortunately. If this was my toy, I would have fun messing around with it myself, replacing and rebuilding it how I wanted, but for now I’d love to just get a steering setup that will allow for on road use, until I can buy another car lol.

Hi everyone!
So a couple questions regarding Heim joints in a steering setup. I got this Jeep in January 2021 with the steering setup as you see it in the pics I attached below. The previous owner only put about 900 road miles on it before selling to me, and as I’m a young(23) guy with dreams bigger than my wallet, I bought it as a replacement for my totaled TJ, which I daily drove, and continue to do with this one.

Problem is, this is the first wrangler I’ve DD with Heim joints. And talking to a few mechanics who are off road enthusiasts as well, they seem to say Heim joints are great…for off roading. Due to being pure metal on metal, they wear quicker when daily driven.
Which is evidenced in my Jeep right now. Lately, very occasionally I’ll hit a bump or pothole going 35-40 and the wrangler will start shaking, won’t stop until I slow down.
According to one mech buddy, Heim joints like these should be pretty tight, ie hard to get movement under pressure or on a lift. Mine? Oh, they’ve got play. The worst is the link dropping from the steering box, it has quite a bit of ‘slop’. The other links all have a bit of play, which can be moved simply by turning them with the hand, but less than the first.

So questions,
Is there a relatively easy, yet quality way to replace these?
Do they all need to be replaced? Or could my death wobble be tied to that one real bad Heim joint?
Would replacing with Heim joints best the best option(cheapest) short of replacing the whole steering setup?
Are Johnny joints a possibility in this equation?
Any input would be highly appreciated. I’ve had it on a floor jack and wiggled everything else I could, ball joints, u-joints and such all seem to be good and solid.
View attachment 361848

View attachment 361845

View attachment 361846

View attachment 361847

You can find these heim joints on Amazon for $70, pairs of 4. Most death wobble after these type of installs is caused by not utilizing the “misalignment spacers” (3/4” to 5/8” alignment), which are not present on your rig(someone home made them), so just re-installing a new set of 4# 3/4”-16 heims should likely do the trick.