Helicopter Hoists

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
I as surfing through winches the other day and got to thinking about what winch/hoist was used in Helicopter rescues.
I found this:
Rescue Hoists and Cargo Winches
made by Sensors & Integrated Systems

hydraulic-rescue-hoist-system-1.jpg

Cost to buyer $250,000
Lift capacity 600 Lbs.
I would guess it is worth it if you have ever had to be rescued from a dire situation.

I'm guessing they also don't sell nearly as many of those as they do winches for our vehicles!

Very cool though, that's for sure!

Oh, and if you can afford a helicopter, you can easily afford this.

This is an official U.S. Navy photo (whoop-de-doo, right?) of me pointing out the salient features of a Goodrich rescue hoist on an H-3 Sea King to a student aircrewman (who happens to be female, but whatever) during one of my instructor tours in San Diego back in 1982. I spent a lot of time over the years either operating the hoist or riding up and down on it. We had several ways of describing the experience of being hoisted (dope on a rope, trolling for sharks, other things even more juvenile) but it was simply the best way to transfer personnel to or from any spot we couldn't land on, and the only practical way, under most circumstances, to perform a rescue. The hoist could lift 600 pounds and lower 300 (limitations of the brake drum) and had a level wind mechanism that automatically kept the cable wrapped on the drum properly and kept it from kinking. I kinda wish there was something like that on my winch, but that's just me being lazy.
nl04.jpg

Reactions: Cisco Kid