Hello everyone new member from the Northeast

jmb_973

hi all! my name is joe i have a 98 tj that has been an ongoing project
ive been using your forum over the years and finally decided to join

background on my jeep

started off as a 98 4 cyl 5speed with zero, but a blown motor i purchased it for $800

at the same time a friend of mine was selling a 98 4.0 5speed with low miles and most of the goodies already on it (winch bumper flat fenders and new ish 33s )but the frame and tub were both beyond repair

so i pulled both motors and wiring harnesses and began my 4.0 engine and trans swap

worked out great and along the way ive been adding more and more
the latest edition was a ford 8.8 with a ford 31 spline poso and custom moser hardened axles.

i installed this with the artec truss kit, and moser hybrid axle housing ends- these ends give you a ford 9in style houseing end (so a c clip eliminator but the right way) and the use of 2005-2010 ford mustang brakes with the emergency brake built into the calipers.

up next is going to be a high pinion 30 build 4:88 gears and maybe a few more things

Currently on 35in MTRs on Pro comp rims

Reactions: RussTJ and Chris
here are some pics from along the way

last pictures is how the jeep is currently

IMG-4921.JPG

IMG-7661.png

IMG-7665.png

IMG-7666.png

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: RussTJ and Chris
Sounds like you've done quite a bit to that little SE! I'm sure the 4.0 is a welcome upgrade. How difficult was the swap?

It definitely looks like you've got a capable rig there.

lol the green cap shroud was installed by the guy i bought the parts jeep for...obviously the thing wasnt previously owned by someone with the best taste haha but thats long gone now

lol the green cap shroud was installed by the guy i bought the parts jeep for...obviously the thing wasnt previously owned by someone with the best taste haha but thats long gone now

I figured... it's always previous owner b.s.

Can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with that myself. At least the fender flares and bumpers weren't neon green as well!

yeah its
Sounds like you've done quite a bit to that little SE! I'm sure the 4.0 is a welcome upgrade. How difficult was the swap?

It definitely looks like you've got a capable rig there.

thankyou!
the swap wasnt too bad ive done lots of motor swaps in teh past but i def wouldnt recommend it unless you have a full donor vehicle theres a ton of odds and ends to go through that would make it too expensive or difficult to do otherwise just for the sake of tracking down every last little piece

one nice thing about the swap was the "good" jeep was a 4cyl so i started off with 4:10 gears which was a huge plus

the hardest part of the swap physically was not having any helo and to put the 4.0 into the 2.5 chassis and cut out the old motor mounts and weld in the new ones i had to install the 4.0 2 1/2 times to get everything where its supposed to be before finish welding the motor mounts into the frame and the steering column bracket

the wiring harness was pretty simple since i had the donor jeep

Reactions: Chris
yeah its

thankyou!
the swap wasnt too bad ive done lots of motor swaps in teh past but i def wouldnt recommend it unless you have a full donor vehicle theres a ton of odds and ends to go through that would make it too expensive or difficult to do otherwise just for the sake of tracking down every last little piece

one nice thing about the swap was the "good" jeep was a 4cyl so i started off with 4:10 gears which was a huge plus

the hardest part of the swap physically was not having any helo and to put the 4.0 into the 2.5 chassis and cut out the old motor mounts and weld in the new ones i had to install the 4.0 2 1/2 times to get everything where its supposed to be before finish welding the motor mounts into the frame and the steering column bracket

the wiring harness was pretty simple since i had the donor jeep

Makes sense. Whenever I've done a engine swap in the past, I've always made a habit to buy a wrecked donor vehicle, as it makes it a lot easier like you said. Then there's really no guess work, you just know where everything goes.

You scored on the 4.10 axles. Those will be the best gears that came in a TJ (though a few of them came with 4.56 I believe).

i tell ya what right away after the swap before i put the lift on that jeep was pretty quick! stock size tiny little tires 4.0 torque and 4:10 gears was a lot of fun on the street

that all changed the second i threw on the 33s...

no im on a toss up between 4:88 and 5:13 gears...

how did that thing do?
5:38 and your 4:1 transfer case must crawl awesome!

The supercharger hasn't been installed yet! That will be happening very soon. Last I spoke with them they said it's about 1 week out from shipping!

I've also got the RubiCrawler in mine as well, so I've got a low crawl speed of 10.8:1!