Hello from a recent lurker

StayAtHomeDad

Supporting Member
Hello all. short term lurker that is thankful for all of your postings, and finally made an account. I do have intentions of supporting this forum, but have been laid off for a bit and am budgeting accordingly.

I bought my first TJ on whim as a Christmas gift to myself just a few months ago, and committed the cardinal sin of any used vehicle purchase... I bought a rusted out POS, but I am in loving every minute of it.

If anything, I was adamant on the point of the impracticality of Jeeps (Wranglers, specifically). I do love impractical vehicles, but was by no means a jeep guy, and often argued against the purchase/ownership of such a vehicle. Nothing specifically changed, but on December 24th of 2023, I bought I '97 moss green Jeep wrangler sport, manual transmission, soft top, slider soft top doors, pretty much stock from a used car lot selling on behalf of the original owner.

I am roughly $3800 all in and pushing 105k miles, with all new brakes (excluding ABS controller, but all lines, wheel cylinders, pads shoes, calipers, backing plates, etc...), new shocks ( went with rancho 5000x based on reading from this forum), new skid plates (tranny and gas tank) and bolts/hardware,new fuel sending unit and lines, full tune up ( cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coolant flush with thermostat and hoses) recoated the frame and body with rust reformer while everything was out, new front wheel hubs, new to me but used rims and 30x9.5 rims and tires. I'm sure I am forgetting something.

I haven't done the differential or tranny fluid, but that should happen this weekend.

I was just so excited after tonights test drive that I had to post something. Obviously there is a cumulative effect, but after I dropped the gas tank a second time and replaced the whole sending unit today, this thing feels amazing. There was so much drag that I had attributed to suspension/brakes that was actually fuel related that with all the new components, this TJ now is probably my current favorite vehicle ( of the 6 I currently own) . I am very much looking forward to attending my first jeep event in the area in May, and thankful for all the experience and knowledge on this forum (specifically Chris & blaine. I don't know how to tag, or if I can)

One major concern I I have, with all the brake work, I do still have a brake light and a ABS light. All the fluid has been flushed through, and is coming out clean, but the rear brakes lock up before the front. I do have a scan tool that actuates the abs module, and did bleed accordingly, but the bias still seems wrong. any help on this would be appreciated. I did go with "performance" drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads up front, and matching set for the rear ( I believe Powerstop???I shopped between rock auto, extreme terrain, and 1aauto for price)

I did replace the whole parking brake assembly too, and that functions great now, but as a side note, portions of the rear drum brakes in the set were machined horribly. I spent too much time mixing and matching and reassembling just to come to the conclusion that two of the shoes and one drum weren't "perfect"... I ended up running the Tj on jack stands in first gear to seat the shoes to the drums just to prevent them from overheating and improperly bedding in. Under any normal stopping, everything is great, but brake light is on, and heavy brake pedal/emergency scenario will allow the rear wheels to lock up before the front, with a slight pull to the right.

Thank you again to everyone here.

My stock radio also stopped working on tonights test drive.

I had already gone through and replaced the antenna, grounds, and speakers (2 front, and 2 upper pods) and things were great for a stock cassette deck... but tonight it just wouldn't turn (no lights) on or make noise. We have had ridiculous rain/snow/wind here in southeastern Wisconsin, but the Jeep has been mainly in the garage, so I don't think it is moisture related.

I didn't plan to replace the head unit, but I think that is in the near future.

Welcome! My first TJ was similar, POR15 was my friend. Breaking on TJ's is never great (Until you buy BMB's). My last Jeep had the ABS lines cut when I got it. Replaced the lines, they still never worked. Pulled the bulb out and called it fixed. Depending on the model there's a lot of TJ's without ABS, it's part of the "adventure". Check out this tool, sounds like it might possibly help with the issue you're having

https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/products/brake-bleeding-lock-out-tool

Welcome! My first TJ was similar, POR15 was my friend. Breaking on TJ's is never great (Until you buy BMB's). My last Jeep had the ABS lines cut when I got it. Replaced the lines, they still never worked. Pulled the bulb out and called it fixed. Depending on the model there's a lot of TJ's without ABS, it's part of the "adventure". Check out this tool, sounds like it might possibly help with the issue you're having

https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/products/brake-bleeding-lock-out-tool

Thanks for the quick reply.

I went with Eastwood rust rreformer. a one gallon brush on, and a couple spray cans for the rust. I had never dealt with this before, and am hoping this works out. If anything, I figure I extended the life by at least a couple years. For the frame, there wasn't anything major, so I just wired brushed or grinded then coated with the rust reformer, but the front fenders have holes, and the passenger side has some significant rust but, for now, the is just visual, and I'll deal with with it as needed.

Brake related... I have driven without ABS before, and can deal with it, but thought I was doing everything right. My scan tool activates and says there is nothing wrong with the system, but after I drive the ABS light comes on and the reader tells me the module is not activating. I reset, and everything works for a bit, then it fails.... probably a bad ABS controller, but I don't intend to replace it. Just disappointing that an all-road vehicle can't behave how it is supposed to.

This TJ was bought as a fun vehicle. It is proving to be just that. with all its faults and quirks, it may not be a daily (especially at 27 years old) but it sure occupies my time and gives me satisfaction. I don't intend to lift it, or rock crawl... but I did want an open top vehicle for me and my dogs for the summer. I think I found it and the community to support my enthusiasm.

I had a CJ5 many many years ago. Bought a beater TJ few years back to see how much I'd use it. Swore I just wanted an easy trail Jeep, adamant I didn't want a "rock crawler". Used the shit out of my first one so upgraded to what I have now. Been trying to build it bigger and better ever since

Thanks for the quick reply.

I went with Eastwood rust rreformer. a one gallon brush on, and a couple spray cans for the rust. I had never dealt with this before, and am hoping this works out. If anything, I figure I extended the life by at least a couple years. For the frame, there wasn't anything major, so I just wired brushed or grinded then coated with the rust reformer, but the front fenders have holes, and the passenger side has some significant rust but, for now, the is just visual, and I'll deal with with it as needed.

Brake related... I have driven without ABS before, and can deal with it, but thought I was doing everything right. My scan tool activates and says there is nothing wrong with the system, but after I drive the ABS light comes on and the reader tells me the module is not activating. I reset, and everything works for a bit, then it fails.... probably a bad ABS controller, but I don't intend to replace it. Just disappointing that an all-road vehicle can't behave how it is supposed to.

This TJ was bought as a fun vehicle. It is proving to be just that. with all its faults and quirks, it may not be a daily (especially at 27 years old) but it sure occupies my time and gives me satisfaction. I don't intend to lift it, or rock crawl... but I did want an open top vehicle for me and my dogs for the summer. I think I found it and the community to support my enthusiasm.

I just wanted to add, although I don't rock crawl or do anything extreme, I do regularly off-road. I do hunt/track with my dogs, and need to be able to handle the marshes, hills, bogs, glacier trials and other unpaved surfaces. My Silverados and escalades cans do this, but the jeep is expected to be more fun. I still have my trucks for towing, but the TJ can fill the less demanding needs.

Reactions: inkedrose
I don't have any braking issues with my stock brakes. Andy
Mine were terrifying at first... I'm on 35's though and live near the mountains. Couple times coming down the hill traffic stopped and I wasn't sure I would. BMB's made a huge difference. Big break kit is high on my list

Spell Check is your friend. It defiantly helps u avoid comen grammer mistakes. ;)
The primary difference between brake and break is
  • Brake usually refers to the act of stopping a vehicle or the device used to stop a moving vehicle.
  • Break usually refers to an interruption or the act of making something stop working.
the more you know (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ