Hello from Arizona (currently) - Full time RVer

LarryV18

Supporting Member
My wife and I recently retired and have been traveling around the US and Canada in Class C RV with a couple of fat tire electric bikes. While wintering in the SW since there is so much exploring to do we decided to look for a TJ since they are a little lighter to tow. In Mesa we found a 2005 Rubicon hardtop that was stock with 93k miles and in good shape. It is a blast to explore back roads and off the beaten paths. Our explorations have taken us to Bitter Springs trail near Valley of Fire SP, Death Valley (many old mining and home sites), Wickenberg (BLM trails and washes) and a few other areas.

I had the fuel pump replaced as a preventative measure and the main seal/valve cover gasket/oil pan gasket replaced for small leaks. We love the Jeep and it always starts, but it has a long crank (4-5 seconds) when starting after hot and it sit (cranks right up after driving, shutting off, and cranking it up immediately though). First thing in the morning it starts right up with just a 2 second crank).

Unfortunately we also just got the P0720 error for output speed sensor this week
and after replacing the output speed sensor on the transmission are still getting the code. Currently, hunting down a connector or wiring issue.

Love the Jeep but the wiring seems to be one of the Achilles heals in the older Jeeps with the protective loom cracking off wire bundles, wires rubbing through insulation, and connector release tabs cracked.

Hope to be able to share some of my repairs to help others and get a little of the wisdom from the forum to help me with mine.

A4E48BD1-000D-4CD3-A16F-FD84EA45B874.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! We are moving from Oregon to Florence, Arizona June 1st.

That’s a hell of a nice Rubicon you picked up there in a fairly uncommon color too.

You’re right about the wiring. It wasn’t so much an issue when they were new, but as they age the wiring does indeed become an issue sometimes.

Reactions: Chris
Thank you! Arizona is amazing and a gateway to the SW which you will enjoy. The “Impact Orange” color is a neat and unique. I am enjoying reading your posts and appreciate the links to:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ)
The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread)
Wrangler TJ Fluid Capacities)
What are the best spark plugs for my Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0?)

Been doing some bookmarking!

No problem at all, glad you're making good use of the forum.

I used to live in Arizona from 2008-2012 before I met my wife, so I'm very familiar with it. However, back then I didn't have a Jeep, so this will be great this time around because our new house is so close to a lot of good wheeling spots.

By far one of my favorite color Rubis. Welcome, and congrats on retirement. Our TJ serves toad duty part time during some of our longer trips and wheeling adventures.