Hello from Des Moines

RevRich

Hi,

My son just brought home a 97 Wrangler with a 2.5l, manual transmission, some sort of lift and 33 inch tires. It is in need of a little TLC to get it to optimal performance. He always wanted a wrangler as well as a vehicle to tinker around with as well as learn about vehicle maintenance and repair. It has no rust in the body that goes all the way through and a little surface scale rust. The hard top has a few cracks and splits but is otherwise sound. It tracks straight even though it has obviously had front end damage. If The RPMs are kept up the engine is able to keep the jeep at highway speeds without any squirrelyness. One issue that concerns me is the front passenger side sits an inch lower than the front driver side and when stopping the tire rubs on the after market fender. I dont know if this is due to springs, frame or who knows what else.

In my youth I, by necessity, did a lot of vehicle maintenance; but the last time I did any of that stuff was in 95 when I rebuilt my F350 C-6 transmission so I hope to be able to guide him though the repair and restoration of this jeep I have been doing internet searches trying to find out about different items concerning this Jeep and I keep landing on this forum. The information I have found here has helped me identify certain aspects of what he brought home and gave me some idea on how to proceed with making this jeep a reliable daily driver and an occasional off roader. So I decided to join in order to can ask some questions about things I don't know much about. (By the way, what forum would be appropriate to post these questions?)

Sincerely,
Laird, Reverend Richard Eue M.L.
Honey Ridge

Reactions: Gregg1LE and Chris
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the TJ purchase!

You'll want to post the questions you have as new topics in the TJ General Discussion forum, as they'll get lost (and go unnoticed) in a new member introduction thread unfortunately.

You're definitely in the right place though. Be sure to post some pictures when you get a chance (y)