Hello from Northern California

khakitj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello everyone! Since I'm about to start asking some questions around here, first I should introduce myself. I've found just lurking on this forum to be extremely helpful to me over the past few months as I've been learning more about TJs.

I recently bought my first Jeep, a private party purchase from a Craigslist ad. It's a 2005 TJ Sport - 4.0L automatic, 102K miles, almost completely stock with the exception of brand new Bilstein 5100 shocks and 31x10.5 KO2 tires. It has the Dana 44 rear with limited slip, 3.73 gear ratio, 4 wheel disc brakes. It's a clean, no rust CA Jeep. Most of my life I've lived on the East Coast, so I'm still excited whenever I see vehicles more than a few years old with no rust. Hard top and soft top are both in good condition.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it:

00M0M_ka1u0q2XqvZ_1200x900.jpg

I took it to a mechanic a few days later to replace the heater core (and evac too while it was open), put in a new track bar, sway bar links, front and rear differential service, and replace valve cover gaskets. Based on what I had learned from this forum, these issues had mostly been identified by me prior to the purchase of my TJ, and the costs were considered in the price I paid.

Next I did the steer stop adjustment (2 washers on each side), then took off the milk jugs. I bought a new light switch assembly to fix the common issue with fog lights staying on all the time. I replaced the license plate holder that was advertising for a dealer two owners ago.

I also bought H&R springs that I will install in the next week or so. I've read so many great things about the combination of H&R springs with Bilstein shocks. I have spent more time than I could have imagined just trying to understand bump stops, because there is a lot of mixed information out there. If I now understand correctly, the issue here is more about the Bilsteins having a collapsed length that is about 0.56" longer than the stock shocks on front and back. When I install the springs, I will check to see if I need to add more to the bump stops, but it's possible there was enough margin in the stock configuration that it won't be needed.

I'm going to buy some new wheels. Others here have commented that they hate shopping for wheels. I feel the same. The stock ravines are fine, really. But with 10.5" wide tires, although the steer stop adjustment works, one of the things most appealing to me about the TJ is the tight turning radius, so I want something with slightly less backspacing than my stock ravines. I'm likely going for around 4.5" instead of the ravine's 5.5". I'll post a separate thread with a question on the wheels I'm considering.

I don't have any mechanical experience and I'm curious to learn more through owning this Jeep and trying to do some things myself. This isn't my daily driver, so I can take my time, no pressure about having it apart for too long. I also own a RAM 1500 that has some improvements I've done myself - audio, front/side cameras, and sound deadening - it has an air suspension and rides like a luxury car, which is a good contrast to my Jeep.

Plans for the near future are to keep this focused on light trail duty, beaches, and getting to access points for hiking, fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities / family adventures. I'm hoping for the strength to resist the pull towards higher lifts, bigger tires, and all that entails. We'll see. There's a lot of fun to be had before I get to that point, if ever.

I'll start a build thread at some point with all the things I want to do and progress pics. I have an excel file with several tabs so far on potential projects.

Chris, Thank You for creating and maintaining this phenomenal space for us to learn about our Jeeps, and thanks to everyone who has participated in past discussions that have been so helpful to me in getting up to speed.

Best Regards,
Rick

Rick, beautiful rig. It is a wonderfully designed vehicle made to be maintained and worked on by the owner. I get profound enjoyment out of working on my Jeep, almost as much as taking it off road. I wish I had a stock Jeep as a blank canvas. I'd do very little to it (famous last words). The stock TJ can probably go 90% of the places a radically modified one can, especially if you know how to drive.

Reactions: khakitj
Great looking TJ, my old one was the same color as well.

I feel your pain with the wheels. It stinks because IMHO, some of the best looking wheels for TJs are the factory wheels. However, with the backspacing, you really have no choice but to go to a different wheel with better backspacing, or add a wheel spacer if you want to fit larger tires.

I've found that Quadratec makes really nice replica wheels that look just like factory Jeep wheels but have the correct backspacing on them. I have some on my JK and really, really like them! You'd never know they weren't factory wheels.

Great looking TJ, my old one was the same color as well.

I feel your pain with the wheels. It stinks because IMHO, some of the best looking wheels for TJs are the factory wheels. However, with the backspacing, you really have no choice but to go to a different wheel with better backspacing, or add a wheel spacer if you want to fit larger tires.

I've found that Quadratec makes really nice replica wheels that look just like factory Jeep wheels but have the correct backspacing on them. I have some on my JK and really, really like them! You'd never know they weren't factory wheels.

Thanks. I’ve been looking at those and Mamba wheels today and I think I might go that direction. The 15” Moab look-alike (MR1X) in matte black is looking good to me.

Welcome aboard Rick! Nice TJ. If you want to join some of us other Northern California TJs on some Jeep runs keep an eye out for the Northern California thread. I'll be putting on a Christmas tree run into the Mendocino National Forest in December where you can cut your own tree if you like for a $10 permit. It's an easy Forest Service roads run, unless it snows and gets deep. Some will want to go ahead and get stuck, where others will turn around. A fun easy trip. I'll be posting it in mid October.

Thanks. I’ve been looking at those and Mamba wheels today and I think I might go that direction. The 15” Moab look-alike (MR1X) in matte black is looking good to me.

Yep, those are the ones I would go with as well. They are as close to the Moab look as possible while maintaining a 15" size.

Welcome aboard Rick! Nice TJ. If you want to join some of us other Northern California TJs on some Jeep runs keep an eye out for the Northern California thread. I'll be putting on a Christmas tree run into the Mendocino National Forest in December where you can cut your own tree if you like for a $10 permit. It's an easy Forest Service roads run, unless it snows and gets deep. Some will want to go ahead and get stuck, where others will turn around. A fun easy trip. I'll be posting it in mid October.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for the Northern California thread. Sounds fun.

Welcome to the group, also from NorCal. I know wheel spacers can be a touchy subject, but good quality spacers are used quite often. H&R makes some very good quality spacers. I have them on my wife's Z. A 1" hub centric spacer might just give you enough clearance with your stock wheels that you can take those steering stop washers off. Also, look and Rancho's RS5000X shocks. Highly regarded here for smoother ride characteristics.

Welcome to the group, also from NorCal. I know wheel spacers can be a touchy subject, but good quality spacers are used quite often. H&R makes some very good quality spacers. I have them on my wife's Z. A 1" hub centric spacer might just give you enough clearance with your stock wheels that you can take those steering stop washers off. Also, look and Rancho's RS5000X shocks. Highly regarded here for smoother ride characteristics.

Thanks. I think a half inch spacer would be enough in going from stock 9.5" to current 10.5" tires. Not sure if they make that size, though. I have heard good things about H&R spacers, but bad things about spacers in general, so it's something I haven't looked into very closely. I'll check it out more.

I also read all the good reviews about the Rancho shocks. I would probably go with those if it didn't already have brand new Bilstein 5100s installed by previous owner.

H&R makes a 20mm spacer. I have them on our Z, which happens to be the same lug pattern as our TJ's. They've been on the car for 9 years, and I've never had a problem with them. Blue loctite, torque to spec, and never look back. Now if you just want a change, then new wheels are a good option. Get one's with 4" to 4.5" of BS to help keep them from looking like a pregnant roller skate.

Yep, those are the ones I would go with as well. They are as close to the Moab look as possible while maintaining a 15" size.

I just ordered the Mamba MR1X.

1569621489092.png

At some point, I may have them painted the "dark khaki" color (ZJ8) that I currently have on my hard top and fender flares.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Chris
I don't know how I missed this. Welcome from another NorCal member (Martinez). I hope to see you at one of the meetups one day.