Hello from Northern California

PapaWhiskey33

Supporting Member
Been a long time lurker, figured it was time to say hi. I purchased a 2006 TJ Sport about a year ago, manual 6-spd with only 45K miles, Dana 30/Dana 44 3.73 (according to the build sheet). She’s my DD and I plan on some light trails occasionally, but nothing hardcore, I don’t have the resources or skills to break and fix her. She’s my third wrangler (94 YJ, 06 TJ previously) but the first one where I’ve been in a position to put some money into upgrades and mods. So while I’ve loved and driven jeeps for a long time, when it comes to modifications, I’m a total noob…which makes this forum such a great find. From the research I’ve already done into everything jeep and specifically TJs, this seems to be by far, the most knowledgeable and honest forum out there. So thanks to Chris and all the members for already providing a treasure trove of information…y’all are awesome!
I have a build list kinda, sorta planned out…I’m guessing I should post that in the “Build Threads” section for comments and advice? Or “TJ General Discussion”? Or just right here? Haha, I’m sounding pretty confused already!
Oh and here’s a few pics:
IMG_1842.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking TJ, and you're a Giants fan ... extra bonus :)

As far as which forum to post in, me personally, I like to ask the questions in the general forum for quicker responses, but have a Build forum for the stuff you're actually working on so everyone can see the day-to-day, month-to-month progress in chronological order.

Reactions: PapaWhiskey33
Welcome aboard! Nice TJ! I like that you have the Dana 44 and 6 speed. Good find with only 45K on the clock. I thought I was doing good when I found mine 6 years ago with 68K.
Nice to have another Northern California member aboard. Not too far from you being here in Kelseyville. You'll have to come over and wheel with JB (Bobthetj03) and I. We don't do anything crazy. A lot of Mendocino National Forest to explore in our back yard here.

Sharp looking TJ, I like it! Score on the Dana 44 rear axle.

To answer your questions, if you have a build thread where you plan to post progress of your build, photos, updates, and more, post it here: TJ Build Threads

For TJ related questions (even if it's something you need help with on your build), post them here: TJ General Discussion, since more people will see questions there.

I understand some people get confused about the TJ Frequently Asked Questions forum and think they should ask their questions there. That isn't the case though, that's actually a "resource" forum where I try to answer some of the most frequently asked questions that people search for. So chances are, with some questions, you may find your answer in that forum already!

Welcome out of the shadows too! I think this has steadily turned into the best "TJ specific" forum on the internet, which is a good thing. The TJ will forever hold a place in my heart.

The main things for you to consider is —- what are you going to use your Jeep for? Rocks? Fire roads? Mud? hunting? as a DD? and what is your budget?

From there everyone can assist with the right setup the first time. Many members just built up their Jeeps and then found that it was either too much or not enough and had to fix it all over again, and in the end that will cost you way more money than doing it right the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Great looking TJ, and you're a Giants fan ... extra bonus :)

As far as which forum to post in, me personally, I like to ask the questions in the general forum for quicker responses, but have a Build forum for the stuff you're actually working on so everyone can see the day-to-day, month-to-month progress in chronological order.

Thanks! She's pretty much stock, so nice frehs canvas to work with. And yessir...Giants, FSU Seminoles and SJ Sharks are my sports triumvirate!

Reactions: CodaMan
Welcome to the forum! Lincoln is just down the 80 from some great wheelin. You are pretty close to Prairie City OHV park, too.
Thank you...I picked up a norcal trail guide not too long ago. Hopefully start really emptying my wallet this winter and spring and start exploring the Sierras a little bit this summer.

Welcome aboard! Nice TJ! I like that you have the Dana 44 and 6 speed. Good find with only 45K on the clock. I thought I was doing good when I found mine 6 years ago with 68K.
Nice to have another Northern California member aboard. Not too far from you being here in Kelseyville. You'll have to come over and wheel with JB (Bobthetj03) and I. We don't do anything crazy. A lot of Mendocino National Forest to explore in our back yard here.
Thanks @lowranger I was extremely happy when I found the build sheet (thanks to this forum!) and saw the PO purchased the upgrade to Dana 44. Manual transmission was a must for me...just missed driving a manual. Kinda lucked out, wasn't looking for long when I found this one. I figured 45K was gonna be hard to beat. I just may take you up on that offer...would love to explore out there!

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thank you, sir! I was actually planning on upgrading the wheels when I first bought her, but I've grown quite fond of them...now my plan is to stay with them.
The Ravine is a great looking wheel, I'd stick with em.
Thank you...I picked up a norcal trail guide not too long ago. Hopefully start really emptying my wallet this winter and spring and start exploring the Sierras a little bit this summer.
You won't have much of a choice if you keep hanging around here :D

Sharp looking TJ, I like it! Score on the Dana 44 rear axle.

To answer your questions, if you have a build thread where you plan to post progress of your build, photos, updates, and more, post it here: TJ Build Threads

For TJ related questions (even if it's something you need help with on your build), post them here: TJ General Discussion, since more people will see questions there.

I understand some people get confused about the TJ Frequently Asked Questions forum and think they should ask their questions there. That isn't the case though, that's actually a "resource" forum where I try to answer some of the most frequently asked questions that people search for. So chances are, with some questions, you may find your answer in that forum already!

Welcome out of the shadows too! I think this has steadily turned into the best "TJ specific" forum on the internet, which is a good thing. The TJ will forever hold a place in my heart.
Thanks @Chris I couldn't agree more on the Dana 44 rear. It was a pleasant surprise. And thank you for the tutorial on where to post...and thanks to @CodaMan for your input on this as well. I already appreciate everyone here!

Reactions: CodaMan and Chris
The main things for you to consider is —- what are you going to use your Jeep for? Rocks? Fire roads? Mud? hunting? as a DD? and what is your budget?

From there everyone can assist with the right setup the first time. Many members just built up their Jeeps and then found that it was either too much or not enough and had to fix it all over again, and in the end that will cost you way more money than doing it right the first time.
Copy that...she's mainly my DD, probably gonna be on road 90% of the time. I do want to take her off road eventually, but nothing hardcore or extreme. Pretty much easy to moderate rated trails and such. Gonna be a pretty modest build, I think. I have a spreadsheet of what I'm looking at for this year. I'll start a thread on that soon.:)