Hello from Oregon on Wontons

vinsanity

Breaker of things. Sometimes fixer of things.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
New to the forum, but not to TJs. It's been a long journey. Spent a lot of time on a competing forum. Then moved to Pirate & Facebook when I decided to go 1 tons. But I'm sick of Facebook's crap, so looking for a new Jeep community to share knowledge and experiences with. So now I'm here. 🍻

Here is my '05 LJ. One of these days I might write a build thread for it.

King Pin Dana 60 with RCVs front.
Shaved 14 bolt rear.
ARBs front & rear.
PCS Hydro Assist
40" MTRs.
King 14" coilovers.
3 link front, 4 link upper triangulated rear with Busted Knuckle aluminium links.
Poison Spyder Fenders.
CCF Armor & Sliders.
Custom cage (not in this picture though)

Jeep_40s_MetalMasher.jpg

But it all started with my trusted 4 banger '02 TJ. I was broke so I could only afford suspension pucks and 31s, but I was hooked from day 1.

TJ_Jump.jpg

After graduating, I sold it and bought an old '97 TJ with 35s, OX lockers, an 8.8, and a 4" lift kit. Took my first trips to the Rubicon in this guy. Man I love that place. Been back every year since. Problem with the TJ is there just isn't enough room for camping gear, tools, and parts. So I went looking for just a little more space.
Blue_TJ_hill.jpg

Not wanting to start over, I found myself an 05 LJ that was basically stock with some tube fenders and 33" tires. Swapped the entire suspension, axles, and tires from my TJ onto the LJ, and sold the TJ. First run on the Rubicon and finally after years of abuse, the Dana 30 blew up. :-o
TJ+LJ.jpg

I really wanted to get 37s, but priced it out and decided it was just too much work to properly do 37s. So I pulled a HP Dana 30 from the junk yard and put my gears, OX, etc in it. But I felt like I missed an opportunity. For my 40th bday I decided, F it. I want to see what I can really do. So I built my 1 ton LJ mostly to see if I could. 1 tons and 37s is kinda a waste, so 40s it is! lol.

After many, many, many hour of sweat and blood, she was done enough to play last summer. Took it to the Rubicon and Moab. The project that never ends. :-D
FB_IMG_1569175836428_2.jpg

Welcome. Good to have your knowledge and experience here. You'll find that there is a lot of it around here, though without much of the attitude that often accompanies it elsewhere. 😁

Reactions: vinsanity
Welcome to the forum! Ever play around in the TSF?
That looks like an interesting custom cage you have too, curious to see more.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the forum! Ever play around in the TSF?
That looks like an interesting custom cage you have too, curious to see more.
Indeed I do. TSF is only about 30 mins away, so I definitely play there. The last picture above is from my first trip into Lower Crushers.

Heres a better look at the back. A guy up in Seattle bought a LJ with this cage on it. He thought it was cool but he wanted a backseat. Gave me a smoking deal on a trade, my OEM cage + backseat + some cash for this cage. Someone is selling another LJ in CO in the for sale area with the same cage. Really wonder where they come from.

IMG_20190908_192106.jpg

Reactions: EJD
Thanks everyone.

Indeed I do. TSF is only about 30 mins away, so I definitely play there. The last picture above is from my first trip into Lower Crushers.

Heres a better look at the back. A guy up in Seattle bought a LJ with this cage on it. He thought it was cool but he wanted a backseat. Gave me a smoking deal on a trade, my OEM cage + backseat + some cash for this cage. Someone is selling another LJ in CO in the for sale area with the same cage. Really wonder where they come from.

View attachment 134644
Yeah thats pretty awesome, I was up at the TSF yesterday, did some snow wheeling on University Firepower quickly on my way to portland (got sidetracked) lol. I live over on the coast though, man if you ever wanna meet up over there or come to the sand dunes and play, hit me up! Crushers is bad ass, I usually watch from a distance as i'm not set up for that type of stuff at all.

You aren't the only one who is sick of Facebook's crap, seriously. I run the largest JK group on Facebook, and that place is a shit show. No matter how hard to try and keep it clean, there's just more trolls, assholes, and rude people on Facebook than you can even imagine. This forum is not like that, which is one thing I love about it.

Anyways, welcome to the forum from Salem, Oregon! That's a great looking LJ you have there, and based off what you've done to it, you clearly know what you're doing. It's nice to have another member here who brings a lot of knowledge and know-how.

You aren't the only one who is sick of Facebook's crap, seriously. I run the largest JK group on Facebook, and that place is a shit show. No matter how hard to try and keep it clean, there's just more trolls, assholes, and rude people on Facebook than you can even imagine. This forum is not like that, which is one thing I love about it.
Yeah, it's so true. I was prepping to go back to the corporate owned forum I used a lot back in the day when a friend was like, "oh, you should give Wrangler TJ Forum a shot. Guy in Salem runs it." That was an easy choice. Much rather support you guys here. Thanks for your efforts building a quality forum for us to share.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, it's so true. I was prepping to go back to the corporate owned forum I used a lot back in the day when a friend was like, "oh, you should give Wrangler TJ Forum a shot. Guy in Salem runs it." That was an easy choice. Much rather support you guys here. Thanks for your efforts building a quality forum for us to share.

No problem, I'm glad you ended up here!

That's one of the main reasons I built this forum because I got so sick of the corporate run forums, as well as the constant drama and bickering on Facebook.

It seems like all the good people ended up here, which is a good thing!