Hello from Oshkosh, WI

Katuhstrofik

Kat in a Space Suit
Supporting Member
New 1999 Jeep Wrangler owner. Located in Oshkosh, WI. I'm 29 and I work as a metal worker.

Wanted a Jeep since I was a kid, and I finally got one. I picked this up for $2,000 (yeah I know). Has the 4.0 with about 200k miles on it. When I went to start it the battery was dead (it had been sitting 9-12 months I guess), so I went to Walmart and splurged on a new battery with a 5 year warranty and put it in the Jeep. Starter barely turned once before the Jeep came roaring to life, no blue or white smoke! Sounds like a wailing banshee right now, I think the fan belt needs to be tightened, or perhaps it could be a symptom of the exhaust being in such rough shape. Overall the Jeep seems to be in incredible shape for what I paid, even the body has minimal rust on it for being a Wisconsin Jeep and being 20 years old. Haven't looked too closely at the under carriage yet but that seems to be in pretty good shape as well. Will definitely be scrubbing/blasting the rust off and salt/water proofing it. From what I can tell, after the few things below are fixed, it's a $6-7,000 Wrangler. A pretty sweet steal if you ask me.

Things I know I need to fix are:

-Exhaust (going to replace the entire system)
-Brake lines
-The belt (if adjusting the tension doesn't work)
-It also currently has an issue with the tail lights not lighting up. Fuse looks fine, so I will mess with the wiring in the tail light housing and see if I can find a short or something. I also saw a dude on YouTube put WD-40 in the fuse socket for the tail lights, and that worked somehow lol.

Other stuff I'll be doing right away:
Removing AC compressor (AC doesn't work anyways and I never understood why Jeeps come with AC in the first place)
Parting out stock seats for something minimalist, think along the lines of what military Humvees have for seating.

Pictures attached are all I have right now. My friend is keeping it in his garage and it's still too damn cold to mess with it right now. I'll pull it out this weekend and take better pictures around, under, etc etc. but once we get his diesel heater working nothing is going to stop me from cleaning it up and getting it ready.

I am incredibly excited for this, and wasn't ever planning on owning a Jeep Wrangler for basically pennies on the dollar lol.

I am looking forward to being a member of this community. Glad you guys exist because I will be having a lot of questions.

PurchaseDate1.jpg

PurchaseDate2.jpg

PurchaseDate3.jpg

PurchaseDate4.jpg

PurchaseDate5.jpg

Last edited:
HaHa! Congratulations on finally getting into a Jeep. $2,000 is a great way to step into a TJ, learn a lot along the way and make it your own. Being a metalworker you might be able to fab up lots of things like bumpers, brackets, etc...for pennies on the dollar. Great group of folks on here and lots of knowledge. Many purists as well as the unorthodox, so it is always fun and leaves lots of options. What kind of mods are you thinking about once you get the Jeep up to good running condition?

Sounds like you've got a project on your hands, but a good one!

Hopefully the rust isn't too bad! I think the first order of business is to give that thing a good wash and cleaning!

Either way, for $2000 you got a deal! It's worth that in parts alone.

Reactions: Katuhstrofik
Thanks guys! I don't plan on going extreme with my build, but I'd like to lift it 3 inches and throw some 35s on it. Will 35s require me to mess with re-gearing or anything?

HaHa! Congratulations on finally getting into a Jeep. $2,000 is a great way to step into a TJ, learn a lot along the way and make it your own. Being a metalworker you might be able to fab up lots of things like bumpers, brackets, etc...for pennies on the dollar. Great group of folks on here and lots of knowledge. Many purists as well as the unorthodox, so it is always fun and leaves lots of options. What kind of mods are you thinking about once you get the Jeep up to good running condition?

Just lifting it and making it durable more or less. I am not going to go too extreme with it, for now anyways. I'd like it to remain street worthy without being too ridiculous.

With a 3" lift I would go with 33s. But that just my opinion.

I'll look into it some more. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, 33's would be better with that lift. You really need 4" of lift or more for 35's. And yes, re-gearing will be in order if you go 35's, plus you'll want to beef up the brakes to slow all that rubber down.

Yeah, 33's would be better with that lift. You really need 4" of lift or more for 35's. And yes, re-gearing will be in order if you go 35's, plus you'll want to beef up the brakes to slow all that rubber down.

Yeah, I think taking that into consideration you guys are right about the 33s. What I might do is just lift it 4 inches right away, put 33s on it, and then I have room to grow in the future if I want to commit to regearing for 35s.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Thanks guys! I don't plan on going extreme with my build, but I'd like to lift it 3 inches and throw some 35s on it. Will 35s require me to mess with re-gearing or anything?

35" tires is pretty much "extreme". You'll need quite a bit of money to do that properly as it will need a SYE, re-gear, adjustable control arms, CV driveshaft, etc. You're much better of with 33" tires, a 2" suspension lift and 1" body lift. You'll save a lot of money, believe me.

35" tires is pretty much "extreme". You'll need quite a bit of money to do that properly as it will need a SYE, re-gear, adjustable control arms, CV driveshaft, etc. You're much better of with 33" tires, a 2" suspension lift and 1" body lift. You'll save a lot of money, believe me.

I am looking at stuff right now and you're definitely right. :')

What have I gotten myself into this time lol...

Don't rush it or you will surely buy stuff and find out later there was a better way to go. Get it road worthy, buff the paint and drive it to see what you want. Run everything past this group here and you won't go wrong! Congrats on the purchase 2K and you surely could have not gone wrong, I paid multiple times that for mine last month.

Reactions: JMT and UpperMI
Don't rush it or you will surely buy stuff and find out later there was a better way to go. Get it road worthy, buff the paint and drive it to see what you want. Run everything past this group here and you won't go wrong! Congrats on the purchase 2K and you surely could have not gone wrong, I paid multiple times that for mine last month.
Sounds like a plan. :) I'm looking at exhaust systems now. My hope is that the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to have the exhaust and brake lines done by early January. I work 55-60 hour weeks so the last thing I want to do on my time off is freeze my ass off and busting my knuckles on rusty bolts lol. It will come down to how many mild days we get here in Oshkosh in the 30s and 40s.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I understand, 20 deg here in NY now with heavy wind...I would not be in my garage under the lift now either. Don't over spend on the exhaust, it will give you no additional power on the 4.0. You also don't want it too load either, something like the dynamax should work. something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CIXOIA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

just double check the fitment on your 99