Hello from Oshkosh, WI

Kids aren't for me. I've already taken steps to make sure I never have any lol. I am extremely introverted and not great with kids.

Oh no, why are they dreaded?
That is usually the least desired gear ratio. Designed for smallest tire size, theoretically best mpg on the highway. But not wheeling or highway friendly with bigger tires. Most prefer the 3.73 ratio which came with Sports with the wheel & tire upgrade option.

Rubicons came with 4.10 axle ratios.

3.07 gears are indeed the worst of the worst. Anything larger than 31” tires on there and you’re really going to feel it in the suck department. Not to say you can’t do it, it just won’t be fun to drive with that gear ratio.

Reactions: StG58
Here is a 3.5" lift on 33s. Just for comparison.
Jeep TJ.jpg

Reactions: Katuhstrofik
Kids aren't for me. I've already taken steps to make sure I never have any lol. I am extremely introverted and not great with kids.

Oh no, why are they dreaded?

No reason really other than they are too high of gears for bigger tires. You should be ok with 31's and that gearing though.

That is usually the least desired gear ratio. Designed for smallest tire size, theoretically best mpg on the highway. But not wheeling or highway friendly with bigger tires. Most prefer the 3.73 ratio which came with Sports with the wheel & tire upgrade option.
3.07 gears are indeed the worst of the worst. Anything larger than 31” tires on there and you’re really going to feel it in the suck department. Not to say you can’t do it, it just won’t be fun to drive with that gear ratio.

Okay cool so I am still in the clear. Is there any noticeable difference using my gears and 31s? Or is that just where it starts to fall off in terms of performance/drivability? Is it worth upgrading my gears if it's financially feasible even if I never go bigger than 31s?

Wait till you get 31's and drive it for a bit and see. You may find it's just fine for you and save yourself the cost of re gearing.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
For an extreme introvert, you're pretty active on here! LOL!

Wait till you get 31's and drive it for a bit and see. You may find it's just fine for you and save yourself the cost of re gearing.

X2, this is what I would do before to do anything else. You may be able to live with it.

My Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 33” tires was excruciating to drive in town before I switched to 4.88 gears.

Some of it is personal preference though.

X2, this is what I would do before to do anything else. You may be able to live with it.

My Rubicon with 4.10 gears and 33” tires was excruciating to drive in town before I switched to 4.88 gears.

Some of it is personal preference though.

Alright. Well, if everything goes as planned I'll be able to drive the TJ for the first time on the road next weekend. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Just wanted to close this up and say thanks to all of you who welcomed me and supplied me the info I need to start my journey. :) I will be floating around checking out threads and whatnot, and on Saturday I intend to post a thread for my progress showing you all what I have to work with.

Really glad I found this forum and I am happy to be here and I'm very appreciative of what you all have going on here. It's really something special.

Glad to have you aboard, happy to hear you're enjoying the forum, and I look forward to seeing your progress / build thread!

Is there any noticeable difference using my gears and 31s? Or is that just where it starts to fall off in terms of performance/drivability? Is it worth upgrading my gears if it's financially feasible even if I never go bigger than 31s?
So I drove an '87 YJ for 15 years, 3.07s, 33s, the old Peugeot 5 speed. The driveability? First gear start up from a stop was an issue. But 10 years with 33s and I never lost the clutch. And low range solved the lift from a stop issue. Performance? I never used 5th. NEVER. So a regear to say 3.73 would have been a smart choice BUT, on forestry roads. in 4L with the 3.07s.... I could hit 60mph in 5th easy. It drove like a Mustang! Absolutely the 4.2L and 3.07s and 33s were incredible in 4LO!!

Decide on HOW YOU want to drive it before you listen to ANY of us. I now drive a TJR, so 4,10s with 33s. and the 6speed. I really wish I had 3.73s. Only rarely do I like the 4:1 Rock Box of the Rubi. My next TJ, which will be my "not for work" TJ will have the sport box and likely be a 4 cylinder SE.... and probably only 31s.

So I drove an '87 YJ for 15 years, 3.07s, 33s, the old Peugeot 5 speed. The driveability? First gear start up from a stop was an issue. But 10 years with 33s and I never lost the clutch. And low range solved the lift from a stop issue. Performance? I never used 5th. NEVER. So a regear to say 3.73 would have been a smart choice BUT, on forestry roads. in 4L with the 3.07s.... I could hit 60mph in 5th easy. It drove like a Mustang! Absolutely the 4.2L and 3.07s and 33s were incredible in 4LO!!

Decide on HOW YOU want to drive it before you listen to ANY of us. I now drive a TJR, so 4,10s with 33s. and the 6speed. I really wish I had 3.73s. Only rarely do I like the 4:1 Rock Box of the Rubi. My next TJ, which will be my "not for work" TJ will have the sport box and likely be a 4 cylinder SE.... and probably only 31s.
Great insight. Thank you for sharing.

I think my main problem when I first started thinking about tire size was forgetting how small the wheelbase is on a Jeep and how much clearance potential you have with minor height changes. I've been looking at threads on the forum and doing research elsewhere and I really think 31s will do the trick for me and I'll never need anything bigger.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk