Hello from the Midwest

K

KMG

Hello, I just became a member and wanted to say thanks for the information
IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_1162 2.JPG
I've received from this site. A year ago I decided to buy a Jeep again. The last Jeep I owned was a CJ7 back in the early 80's. I choose the TJ over a JK because of the straight 6 engine and the more truck like feel. I purchased a one owner 32,000 mile 04 Rubicon with an automatic. It still had the factory tires ( the spare is still unused and on the back). I have replaced the tires with stock size BF Goodrich KO2s, added a Genright aluminum 24.5 gallon fuel tank with skid plate, and installed Dirtworx's front and rear bumpers.
Next on my list are better headlights, winch, skid plate protection for the tranny/oil pan/transfer case, and a ham radio. I use my TJ for off road exploring trips. Not hard rock crawling. If I come up to an obstacle to severe I just go around. Different strategy than most but it offers it's own challenges.
Before my Jeep I built a Nissan NV high roof van with Quigley 4x4 and traveled 5,300 miles in one year with less than 200 on Interstate. Great rig but not able to get deep into the woods like a Jeep. I'll buy or build an off road teardrop trailer to pull behind.

Welcome aboard! Very nice rig you're sporting there! You'll find this forum to be a valuable asset to TJ ownership! Always informative. Always entertaining. Definitely worth the price of admission! Enjoy!

Reactions: KMG
Welcome aboard :)

I like your thought process when you said you chose the TJ because of straight 6 and more truck like....i agree.

Welcome aboard! Very nice rig you're sporting there! You'll find this forum to be a valuable asset to TJ ownership! Always informative. Always entertaining. Definitely worth the price of admission! Enjoy!
Thanks. The picture of the van was taken NE of you off Hwy. 20 near Diablo Lake. I use to live in Yacolt, WA. My youngest son is a student at U of W in Seattle. Washington is so beautiful.

Well done on the TJ Rubicon purchase. Great color, and it looks super clean too!

Thanks Chris, It was an extra vehicle that was hardly driven. When I picked it up the hard top was in his basement and had never been installed. I paid $16,000 so it wasn't a steal but considering the cost of a new JK I felt it was well worth it.

Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the forum ....love the TJ and love those teardrop caravans too ...we'll need pics once you get one lol

Thanks Chris, It was an extra vehicle that was hardly driven. When I picked it up the hard top was in his basement and had never been installed. I paid $16,000 so it wasn't a steal but considering the cost of a new JK I felt it was well worth it.

Wow, great deal, seriously! Up here in the PNW you would have paid 20-22k for that Rubicon, no doubt about it. I paid 20k for my 05 Rubicon with 60k miles from the original owner. They have some serious value up here for sure.

glwwood, We do have the same. FYI, I went with powder coating and have two chips in 6 months. Good choice on paint not powder coating. I wasted $200.00. Lesson learned. Just one example of how a good forum can save you time and money.

glwwood, We do have the same. FYI, I went with powder coating and have two chips in 6 months. Good choice on paint not powder coating. I wasted $200.00. Lesson learned. Just one example of how a good forum can save you time and money.
Appreciate the reply. I seriously considered dropping $200 for PC also, but did manage to listen to forum advice about touch-ups. PC looks so good, just hard to fix, as you unfortunately experienced. Some rattle-can bed liners get pretty close to the powder coat look, though, if you want to try one of those.