Hello from Toronto, Ontario

Mark S

Hello Everyone,

I thought I should write a quick introduction before I started asking questions.

Ever since my daughter got a 2018 JK Unlimited, I've been considering a change of "toy car" (as my wonderful wife likes to call it).

My previous ride was a 1998 BMW Z3 which is currently for sale. Feel free to message me privately if you know anyone that's interested.

1.jpg

I've loved the car the whole time I've had her but going fast is getting old. I feel like I want to drive over stuff instead :)

I decided I wanted a Jeep as parts are plentiful and the community that surrounds them is awesome. I still get to have the top down and the whole vibe just seems more relaxed. (BMW folk are awfully uptight)

I've been lurking on the forums and crawling around under Jeeps for about a month now. There's a story that I'll tell at some point about how I decided on a stock automatic TJ but that's what I settled on and the search began.

Last Wednesday I bought a 2004 Sahara 4.0 automatic with 175k km. I wasn't sure I'd find anything here in Ontario that wasn't totally rotten underneath but this frame looked great. I was shocked when I rolled under it and couldn't resist making a deal on the spot. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) about how much rusted out crap is for sale out there for crazy money.

20180831_172929.jpg
20180831_183644.jpg
20180831_183655.jpg

There are a few things that need to get taken care of right away but nothing too serious. I need to resolve some of the surface rust issues as soon as possible (before winter) and I'll be asking some questions like "how best to get at this spot" shortly. I'm a fairly experienced DIY mechanic with a good set of tools but not alot of space to work. I've rebuilt a few engines and a couple of motorbikes but never owned a Jeep (or anything 4wd) before.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions but thought I'd start with an introduction.

Mark.

Reactions: johnny deeker
Welcome to the forum...nice clean Sahara...and black never gets old.:)
I'd be changing out the oil / fluids and a mini service so you know that's all done.
If you have worked on engines and motorbikes (and I'm guessing your BMW) then working on a TJ would be a breeze.