Hello from Traverse City, MI

daurand

I bought a 2002 Sahara 4.0L 5-spd fall 2020. Never owned a Jeep before, so I had (and still have) a lot to learn. Jeep came with mismatched diff gearings (3.07 & 3.73), among other issues. I've been working on getting it ready for this spring. Still finding issues as I now am able to put it on the road.

Some nice items it came with (as far as I can tell): 4" suspension lift, ~1" body lift, SYE and new rear drive shaft, motor mount lift, winch.

Some bad items it came with: non-original axles with mismatched diff gearings (came with Dana 44 option from factory), drop pitman arm, dirt (inside and out, filled transfer case lever indent in tub preventing full movement), bad tires, bad battery, bad aftermarket radio and speakers, broken front sway bar attachment (no bar), soft top with no back window attachment (came from factory with hard top), incorrect passenger side seat belt (way too short), no back seat/seatbelts..

Upgrades so far: Front 4.11 diff with lunchbox locker, rear 4.11 with Torsen limited slip, Savvy transfer case cable shifter, rear bumper with spare tire mount, spare wheel, 5 tires coming next week, fire extinguisher, internal shift boot, external shift boot (doesn't stay in place because of BL/MML - need a new plan), stock style pitman arm coming, back seat installed (including brackets) and seat belts, passenger seat belt, back window attachment brackets/bar, toe alignment.

Ran it down some back roads and ORV trails yesterday and had fun. Motivation to get more done!
Jeep TJ.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a project, but as long as you got it for the right price it's hard to complain. Rust is of course the number one issue with these things.

Hopefully you're enjoying it so far. Come summer time you'll be happy you bought one!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a project, but as long as you got it for the right price it's hard to complain. Rust is of course the number one issue with these things.

Hopefully you're enjoying it so far. Come summer time you'll be happy you bought one!
The price wasn't too bad. Bought it from guy in New Mexico and had it shipped to Michigan. It spent most of its life in Texas, so there is very little rust. I'll undercoat it and store it in the winter.
I'm enjoying it now, and summer is sure to be even better.

Reactions: Chris
The price wasn't too bad. Bought it from guy in New Mexico and had it shipped to Michigan. It spent most of its life in Texas, so there is very little rust. I'll undercoat it and store it in the winter.
I'm enjoying it now, and summer is sure to be even better.
Welcome, from a couple hours south of you. Smart decision to buy a southern jeep. I'm currently going through a restoration of sorts, to repair the rust on my 04. Sounds like you have quite a bit of work in front of you too...but at least your bolt should all come out! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you've been busy! From your description, you're gonna have most all your issues sorted for summer.

Good luck, and have fun wheelin that pup!