Hello From Upper and Lower Michigan

Norty05LJ

Supporting Member
Just joined the form here and looking forward to many new ideas for my 2005 LJ! I picked it up about a year ago in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I was mainly looking for a rust free, some what already built Jeep! Ran across this 2005 LJ Unlimited one on Craigslist (sometimes Craig does work out). I didn’t know much about a LJ - but very happy with the extra room now!
It came with a 4.0 / Auto, 82,000 miles, hard and soft top w/ half doors, Barricade Winch ( but doesn’t work powering out-probably replace it), skyjacker lift 3”-?, Goodrich Grabber 33s, DC Rims, K&N intake, Front and rear bumpers I think are SmittyBilt, step bars ( thinking of replacing with LOD rock sliders).
I’ve had to replace the plastic shifting ball thing in the shifting handle with one of my wife’s knitting needles, pot metal injection switch broke on me at the cabin ( can’t remember exactly how I did it but started it with a screwdriver in until the new switch came in) and a plastic sleeve on the transmission shifting linkage.
Adding Tereflex ft and rear differential covers now along with a Zone front differential guard. Couple of us went to Canada last summer and had a blast, but they do have some boulders hidden in the wet muddy trails!
My wife and I live in Newaygo, Mi but mainly keep the Jeep in Grand Marais, Mi! A lot of great two tracks up there, planning on a couple of Jeep trips this summer. The locals always have a planned summer ride in too!
Again Thanks for the Form! And Keep the Rubber Side Down! Gary

Welcome to the forum! We've got a number of other members here from upper Michigan. @UpperMI was at least there at one point, and @UPJOHN is as well I believe.

Sounds like you've got a nice LJ there. That extra room on the LJs can indeed come in handy!

Welcome to the forum. I grew up In the UP. I’ve been in California for the past 18 years. The 4-wheeler club I belonged to in college always made a silver lake run in the summer time. I never made it there as it was a 9 hour drive for me but they always came back with a ton of stories and pictures from their time in the sand.

Thanks Chris, I’ll have to look at those guys Jeeps on the forum and check them out!
Hey TJ Addict! Big difference between the UP and California- if I’m lucky I might see two Jeeps on the back roads (H-58 - paved now ) to Munising.

Hi Bob! Where did you work in Newaygo? I worked at Keller’s for 17 yrs and Vanderhyde’s in Cedar for 15 yrs. Whats the story about Rust Belt Heavyweight? Is it about all the FREE SALT the auto companies give the state of Michigan to put on our roads?

Thanks Chris, I’ll have to look at those guys Jeeps on the forum and check them out!
Hey TJ Addict! Big difference between the UP and California- if I’m lucky I might see two Jeeps on the back roads (H-58 - paved now ) to Munising.

Hi Bob! Where did you work in Newaygo? I worked at Keller’s for 17 yrs and Vanderhyde’s in Cedar for 15 yrs. Whats the story about Rust Belt Heavyweight? Is it about all the FREE SALT the auto companies give the state of Michigan to put on our roads?

Worked at Magna for a while. The Rust Belt Heavyweight thing is a little bit of fun I'm having at my own expense...I bought an 04 last year that I thought was pretty clean...Surface rust but nothing more. I got into it this winter, and ended up cutting and welding in a few patches. I could do more...but I'm going to drive it as is for now, and either sell it and go south, or keep it and replace the tub. The frame is still pretty good.

Got my last pickup from Keller in April of 14. Are you still there? I drive down Alpine EVERY day for work (south side of GR now) and still have oil changes and some maintenance done there. I actually graduated high school from Cedar...so I know VanderHyde too.

Bob! Working - Retired and enjoying the easy life! Just enjoying all my hobbies I’ve gathered throughout the years! Did you know a Jeff Smith at Magna? I know he left there quite a few yrs ago!
Yea! Rust hard to deal with. I know what your going through. If you ever get out to Croton let me know, when the salt gets off the roads I’m bringing the Jeep back down here to enjoy while the snow melts off in the Upper