Hello from Wyoming

dstop

Supporting Member
I m new to the site.I bought an 05 wrangler sport, impact orange with the 4.0, and the 6 spd. was going to it lift it and put bigger tires and wheels, but instead decided to get a rubicon for the bigger axles and lockers. so I looked around and found an 05 wrangler rubicon impact orange 4.0, 6 spd it was already lifted and had 35x12.5x15 wheels. It has a 3 inch body lift , and I have no idea what kind or size of lift. I know alot of pepole on here say body lifts are bad,but why are they so bad? And i need to change the gears but am trying the decide 4:56 or 4:88.
20190115_142727.jpg
20190115_142834.jpg

Reactions: rasband
3"body lift puts to much stress on the body bolts. You're better off with a 1-1.25" body lift. For a suspension lift measure your springs, 12" front and 8" rear are stock, anything over that is your amount of lift. This is a good thread if you want to run 35" tires. A 4" suspension lift with a 1.25" body lift is about perfect for that size tire.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-run-35-tires-on-your-tj.2428/

For gearing, I vote go as deep as you can. With d44s you can run 5.38s in your rubicon.

Welcome to the forum--I grew up in Wyoming (Torrington area), and lived in Casper from 2011 to 2014. Supporting the homestate with a steamboat decal on the side!

IMG_2197.JPG

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
X2 to what @tworley said. I would ditch that body lift for sure, but otherwise that's a damn fine looking Rubicon, and one of the best colors to boot!

Reactions: billiebob
There are a lot of guys down in Cheyenne, you may want to check out the clubs or go down to TNT customs and meet a few people if you dont know many people who have jeeps. Just a thought. Tim

3"body lift puts to much stress on the body bolts. You're better off with a 1-1.25" body lift. For a suspension lift measure your springs, 12" front and 8" rear are stock, anything over that is your amount of lift. This is a good thread if you want to run 35" tires. A 4" suspension lift with a 1.25" body lift is about perfect for that size tire.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-run-35-tires-on-your-tj.2428/

For gearing, I vote go as deep as you can. With d44s you can run 5.38s in your rubicon.

Welcome to the forum--I grew up in Wyoming (Torrington area), and lived in Casper from 2011 to 2014. Supporting the homestate with a steamboat decal on the side!

View attachment 72644
i think if i went with 5:38s it would make 4 low totaly useless,with the 6 spd being lower geared,and the rubicon transfer case having an ultra low 4 low.

I m new to the site.I bought an 05 wrangler sport, impact orange with the 4.0, and the 6 spd. was going to it lift it and put bigger tires and wheels, but instead decided to get a rubicon for the bigger axles and lockers. so I looked around and found an 05 wrangler rubicon impact orange 4.0, 6 spd it was already lifted and had 35x12.5x15 wheels. It has a 3 inch body lift , and I have no idea what kind or size of lift. I know alot of pepole on here say body lifts are bad,but why are they so bad? And i need to change the gears but am trying the decide 4:56 or 4:88.View attachment 72640View attachment 72643
Not sure where you got the idea that "a lot of 'pepole' on here think body lifts are bad", being a new member...most everyone on here is fine with a body lift, just not one that is 3".

I have an 06 li with 35's and the 6 speed. I have 4.88 gears, run at 3150 rpm at 75 on the interstate. It's ok, but I should have gone 5.13. The additional few rpm on the interstate would be nice. Off road there is no substitute for low gearing.

Reactions: tworley
I have an 06 li with 35's and the 6 speed. I have 4.88 gears, run at 3150 rpm at 75 on the interstate. It's ok, but I should have gone 5.13. The additional few rpm on the interstate would be nice. Off road there is no substitute for low gearing.

Is yours a Rubicon? If not, do you have the factory transfer case? The reason I ask is mine has the Rock Trac transfer case with a 4:1 low range whereas all others have the Command Trac transfer case with a 2.72:1 low range.

Was there a 'fire sale' on Impact orange Jeeps that we're not aware of...seems like we've had a run of new members in the last week all with orange TJ's haha Not complaining I love the colour.
Great buying in a Rubi too..... Welcome

Even If I had the Rubicon model I would still opt for the deeper gears. With the 4:1 gearing and the 6 speed with 5.13 gears it would crawl over anything.

Was there a 'fire sale' on Impact orange Jeeps that we're not aware of...seems like we've had a run of new members in the last week all with orange TJ's haha Not complaining I love the colour.
Great buying in a Rubi too..... Welcome
I looked for an impact orange LJ for 3 years before buying mine in red. Started looking in 09, bought my red LJ in 2012.