Help convince me I am not crazy for buying a TJ (so I can convince my wife)

Buy the nicest one you can find, as close to stock as possible.
Realize it is an old Jeep, and will need some work sooner or later.
However, even I replaced the shocks, springs, and steering linkage, and have a lawnmower level of mechanical ability.
If that 203 Rubicon has a good frame I would buy it.

Buy the nicest one you can find, as close to stock as possible.
Realize it is an old Jeep, and will need some work sooner or later.
However, even I replaced the shocks, springs, and steering linkage, and have a lawnmower level of mechanical ability.
If that 203 Rubicon has a good frame I would buy it.
Thanks!

Hello! Another Philly Jeeper here! I'm near Media in Delaware County.

I went through the same experience you did: drooled over wranglers since I was in high school until I finally convinced my wife to let me get one for my 40th (last week!). The opportunity presented itself when my neighbor decided to sell his TJ and I jumped on it.

I've had it for about 6 months at this point (I bought it well before my birthday with the agreement that I would get nothing else the day of), and I've loved every second of it. Every time I drive it, I must look like a dumbass with a sh*t eating grin from ear to ear - my Jeep wave isn't two fingers, it's Ace Ventura leaning full out the window waving both arms. Sometimes I go to my driveway and just stare at it, not believing it's finally, actually mine. That is to say, if you've been thinking about this for as long as I have, then there's a significant level of appreciation and fulfillment that comes with the acquisition, which has more than covered the initial cost of the Jeep as far as I'm concerned. I never regret getting buying my rig; zero buyer's remorse.

With little prior mechanical experience, I've wrenched on it a bit since I got it: new shocks, new brakes/calipers, tranny fluid, lights, etc., all of which I learned from this forum. I actually just installed the Misch Big Boy Brackets this weekend (HUGE IMPROVEMENT FOR ME @ 6'2"!!). There's compounding fulfillment in learning about the truck, getting my hands a bit dirty, and feeling like I'm saving money and building skill in doing all that. In addition, I've been able to work on the truck with my dad, brother, and kids, so it's become a family affair and bonding experience.

In short, it's not just a Jeep - it's the gift that keeps on giving (the good kind). The honeymoon doesn't end with the initial purchase, it sustains, and the jeep is a vehicle (pun intended) for other, different experiences.

Alternatively, convince your wife that she's allowing this to happen, and then she can take ownership of all the happiness that comes after :)

Good luck!

Reactions: Irun and Stretch

I went through the same experience you did: drooled over wranglers since I was in high school until I finally convinced my wife to let me get one for my 40th (last week!). The opportunity presented itself when my neighbor decided to sell his TJ and I jumped on it.

I've had it for about 6 months at this point (I bought it well before my birthday with the agreement that I would get nothing else the day of), and I've loved every second of it. Every time I drive it, I must look like a dumbass with a sh*t eating grin from ear to ear - my Jeep wave isn't two fingers, it's Ace Ventura leaning full out the window waving both arms. Sometimes I go to my driveway and just stare at it, not believing it's finally, actually mine. That is to say, if you've been thinking about this for as long as I have, then there's a significant level of appreciation and fulfillment that comes with the acquisition, which has more than covered the initial cost of the Jeep as far as I'm concerned. I never regret getting buying my rig; zero buyer's remorse.

With little prior mechanical experience, I've wrenched on it a bit since I got it: new shocks, new brakes/calipers, tranny fluid, lights, etc., all of which I learned from this forum. I actually just installed the Misch Big Boy Brackets this weekend (HUGE IMPROVEMENT FOR ME @ 6'2"!!). There's compounding fulfillment in learning about the truck, getting my hands a bit dirty, and feeling like I'm saving money and building skill in doing all that. In addition, I've been able to work on the truck with my dad, brother, and kids, so it's become a family affair and bonding experience.

In short, it's not just a Jeep - it's the gift that keeps on giving (the good kind). The honeymoon doesn't end with the initial purchase, it sustains, and the jeep is a vehicle (pun intended) for other, different experiences.

Alternatively, convince your wife that she's allowing this to happen, and then she can take ownership of all the happiness that comes after :)

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the comments, I really appreciate it. I grew up in Drexel Hill and Springfield so I know Media well! I live in Bucks county now. Looking forward to making this a reality soon!

welcome to the site 🍻

Here is my issue, I have never worked on cars beyond the basic upkeep. I have no mechanical training at all.

You couldn't have picked a better platform to start on. On top of that you have access to hundreds of years of experience on this forum to help you out when you're stuck.

So...am I crazy to buy a Jeep that may need some work and thinking I can learn to fix it as I go?

The key phrase is "some". As long as the frame, body and engine/trans are in good repair, the rest will be fairly easy and fun to work on.

That is my exact plan! Frame inspection is my first stop, if there are any issues I am on to the next one. I know to poke my finger in to check the inside also.

Do yourself a favor and get an inexpensive borescope off of Amazon so you can quickly and easily check the internal condition all along the frame.

welcome to the site 🍻

You couldn't have picked a better platform to start on. On top of that you have access to hundreds of years of experience on this forum to help you out when you're stuck.

The key phrase is "some". As long as the frame, body and engine/trans are in good repair, the rest will be fairly easy and fun to work on.

Do yourself a favor and get an inexpensive borescope off of Amazon so you can quickly and easily check the internal condition all along the frame.
Thanks for the great tip on the borescope, I just ordered one on Amazon. What you say about "some" is in line with my thinking. Thanks again!

Reactions: L J
Thoughts on this one? Frame looked and felt solid, wil set up test drive and deeper inspection before moving forward. From the research I have done and the others I have looked at this is a good buy if frame and floors are solid plus if it passes my mechanics check.

https://www.peruzzi.com/used-Philadelphia-2003-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon+4WD-1J4FA69S03P340656
It looks unmolested.

On a Rubicon, verify the axle lockers work. Sometimes the Rubi axles are swapped out...

I didn’t know squat about working on jeeps last June when I purchased mine. But you don’t learn unless you try! I bought mine to work on and learn with, so no, I don’t think you are crazy wanting a Jeep! You don’t have to be a master mechanic either! Do things you want to learn and if you aren’t comfortable take it to a shop.

Will do. How do I test that? Will the button work and show it worked? I have not used one before.
You have to put the transfer case in 4 low. One press down on the axle lock will lock the rear axles. A second press will lock the front axle. Subsequent presses will lock/unlock the front. The locker lights on the dash will flash while the lockers are locking and will go solid once they are locked. You will have to drive it and possibly do a few S turns to get them to lock. Pull up on the switch to unlock both.

You should be able to download an owner's manual at Jeep.com for free.

You have to put the transfer case in 4 low. One press down on the axle lock will lock the rear axles. A second press will lock the front axle. Subsequent presses will lock/unlock the front. The locker lights on the dash will flash while the lockers are locking and will go solid once they are locked. You will have to drive it and possibly do a few S turns to get them to lock. Pull up on the switch to unlock both.

You should be able to download an owner's manual at Jeep.com for free.
Perfect! Thanks for explaining, I will add this to my list for the inspection.

I didn’t know squat about working on jeeps last June when I purchased mine. But you don’t learn unless you try! I bought mine to work on and learn with, so no, I don’t think you are crazy wanting a Jeep! You don’t have to be a master mechanic either! Do things you want to learn and if you aren’t comfortable take it to a shop.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! That sounds like my plan

I was you 4 years ago, your age, same area (West Chester PA here), limited mechanical skills, wanted a TJ, so I

Bought a TJ.

Learned how to fix the TJ

Love the TJ.

You only live once, so:

Buy the TJ

Learn how to fix the TJ

You will love the TJ

Oh, and while I didn't read this whole thread I skimmed enough to know it contains the usual admonitions about buying one in the rust belt. All mostly true but you can find good ones here, I did.

I was you 4 years ago, your age, same area (West Chester PA here), limited mechanical skills, wanted a TJ, so I

Bought a TJ.

Learned how to fix the TJ

Love the TJ.

You only live once, so:

Buy the TJ

Learn how to fix the TJ

You will love the TJ

Oh, and while I didn't read this whole thread I skimmed enough to know it contains the usual admonitions about buying one in the rust belt. All mostly true but you can find good ones here, I did.
Haha, thanks for the encouragement. Perfect answer. My Dad lives in East Goshen/Malvern.

Reactions: hardtailpan
For everything else about this one what price "should " it be? $1,000 less? $3,000 less? It is a first Gen Rubicon and selling through a new car dealer. I was planning on some negotiation. It has been on the lot for a bit
I paid $9500 for mine when it was stock with 126,000 miles. It was a one owner, originally from Texas with all service records. I would have paid the $10,000 asking price, but I brought cash on a Sunday and drove it home.

RR2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Reactions: rasband
I paid $9500 for mine when it was stock with 126,000 miles. It was a one owner, originally from Texas with all service records. I would have paid the $10,000 asking price, but I brought cash on a Sunday and drove it home.

View attachment 216036
OK, Sweet deal and beautiful Jeep. I would think that $8k would be fair, if I pa a little more so be it, I want to get a good one.

Good luck!
Ha! This was me a little over a year ago! My first upgrade was the big boy brackets too! (6’5”)
Buy it! Your wife will eventually love it or you can sleep in the sofa till she forgets. I had no automotive skills or knowledge but this forum has been great! As everyone has mentioned go for as rust free as possible... mine was pretty clean but sometimes even simple things get complicated when a bolt is frozen (or just spins). I do what I can and pay a mechanic when I get stuck or my life might depend on it.
PS body work has been fun! Repaired a few rust spots and repainted the front half of it so far.
good luck

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
You've gotten a lot of great advice, and you've got the right idea by coming here first and asking. I will say this forum is so unlike most of the rest of the Interwebs, it's incredibly refreshing. The butthead to helpful folks ratio is wayyy skewed toward helpful folks here!

I was in the same boat (roughly) a year ago, 53 years young and getting buy-in from She Who Must Be Obeyed that a TJ habit could be supported/sustained. I went the route you originally planned, and spend $4,200 on a 2001 Forest Green Pearl Sahara with a measly 218,000 miles on it. Small spots of bubbling paint below the doors and on the front fenders will be rust repair/paint projects as I go. Since I'm in Michigan, I knew in advance that I probably would get a rusty Jeep, but decided that part of the rebuild fun would be dealing with it.

With that attitude, I found The Hulk on Craigslist, with small rust spots on the rear frame (and deep pitting in one quarter-sized area) and jumped on the deal. I have budgeted $2K and the month of June 2021 to get the frame rebuild/repair dealt with (there are 2 excellent shops in the Grand Rapids area that specialize in this). The motor, transmission, and interior all will need small things, but I anticipate that by the time I am $8K or $9K invested, I will have the occasional off-roader/weekend top-down fun machine I envision. ALL work besides the frame repair will be done by me and my grown sons, with an assist from YouTube and local craft breweries!

I will also say that putting the soft top down and driving around without the doors puts an idiot grin on my face every time. The missus is learning to enjoy it, but I think it's like peeing outdoors and belching, you've gotta have a Y chromosome to really feel it.

Reactions: Stretch