Help convince me I am not crazy for buying a TJ (so I can convince my wife)

You've gotten a lot of great advice, and you've got the right idea by coming here first and asking. I will say this forum is so unlike most of the rest of the Interwebs, it's incredibly refreshing. The butthead to helpful folks ratio is wayyy skewed toward helpful folks here!

I was in the same boat (roughly) a year ago, 53 years young and getting buy-in from She Who Must Be Obeyed that a TJ habit could be supported/sustained. I went the route you originally planned, and spend $4,200 on a 2001 Forest Green Pearl Sahara with a measly 218,000 miles on it. Small spots of bubbling paint below the doors and on the front fenders will be rust repair/paint projects as I go. Since I'm in Michigan, I knew in advance that I probably would get a rusty Jeep, but decided that part of the rebuild fun would be dealing with it.

With that attitude, I found The Hulk on Craigslist, with small rust spots on the rear frame (and deep pitting in one quarter-sized area) and jumped on the deal. I have budgeted $2K and the month of June 2021 to get the frame rebuild/repair dealt with (there are 2 excellent shops in the Grand Rapids area that specialize in this). The motor, transmission, and interior all will need small things, but I anticipate that by the time I am $8K or $9K invested, I will have the occasional off-roader/weekend top-down fun machine I envision. ALL work besides the frame repair will be done by me and my grown sons, with an assist from YouTube and local craft breweries!

I will also say that putting the soft top down and driving around without the doors puts an idiot grin on my face every time. The missus is learning to enjoy it, but I think it's like peeing outdoors and belching, you've gotta have a Y chromosome to really feel it.
Thanks for the reply. I have been creeping on this forum for a few weeks and could tell it was the right place to go for this question. I am thankful for the terrific response to my thread and encouraged to move forward. I think I am leaning towards the more expensive front end purchase vs buying one needing any frame or engine work. I want to dive right in!

Reactions: DaveC and Ricgowan
I was in the same boat about a year ago. I live in Michigan and refused to look at any locally. Last winter, when I went to visit my in-laws in west Texas, I began my search. I found an 04' Rubicon with 97,000 miles. I paid to ship it home but it was definitely worth it. It now sits in my pole barn until spring. A rust free TJ around here is almost like a bigfoot, yeti or unicorn....they just don't exist. Take your time and don't settle. Just remember, the frames rust from the inside out. A cheap borescope can be had for $35 off amazon.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
I was in the same boat about a year ago. I live in Michigan and refused to look at any locally. Last winter, when I went to visit my in-laws in west Texas, I began my search. I found an 04' Rubicon with 97,000 miles. I paid to ship it home but it was definitely worth it. It now sits in my pole barn until spring. A rust free TJ around here is almost like a bigfoot, yeti or unicorn....they just don't exist. Take your time and don't settle. Just remember, the frames rust from the inside out. A cheap borescope can be had for $35 off amazon.
I bought a borescope today based on an earlier recommendation, thanks!

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I live in Michigan and refused to look at any locally. Last winter, when I went to visit my in-laws in west Texas, I began my search. I found an 04' Rubicon with 97,000 miles. I paid to ship it home but it was definitely worth it. It now sits in my pole barn until spring. A rust free TJ around here is almost like a bigfoot, yeti or unicorn....they just don't exist. Take your time and don't settle. Just remember, the frames rust from the inside out. A cheap borescope can be had for $35

The advice about buying close to stock is good advice. However I was able to buy one locally from a guy in his 50s that had had several thousand dollars of aftermarket accessories and work done RIGHT and the Jeep had never been off road. It had a lift new wheels and tires, bumpers, new paint job etc. All were done by local reputable shops and I was able to see all the receipts and follow up as I felt neccesary. The lists of work he had done is too long to get into.

I guess what I’m saying is if you find one with work done that you like and it is done CORRECTLY you can save some money vs purchasing all the stuff new. But make sure a reputable off road shop inspects it first.

Instagram-358944.png

Why buy a P.O.S. Look to the west coast."You can pay me now or you can pay me later".
They inability to see it in person concerns me plus the cost to ship across the country. I am just going to wait until I find a good, no frame rust, solid engine and transmission TJ near me. I am open to flaws in that thinking if you see some.

Also, not looking for a POS as you can see if you read through my post and the follow ups.

I respect your decision. I have a 1970 Chevelle with rust issues. I know it`s not a TJ but once you start digging into rust you tend to find more than meets the eye. Just saying!

If you test drive in 4 lo and locked it should be in dirt and not on concrete/pavement. Don't bring the jeep to a mechanic, bring it to a mechanic that knows TJs if you can find one. I test drove a Jeep before purchasing my current TJ and it had been painted underneath. I would say many cases that's a red flag even more so in PA I would think with the rust problems. The funny thing was I test drove it and was looking through the glove box and found some service records with the PO name and number. I called her up and talked to her about why she sold the Jeep (husband back problems didn't go well with lifted Jeep). I mentioned that it had been painted and she was surprised since there was nothing wrong with the frame. I guess some dealers will just paint it to make it look better. I was going to start negotiating but it sold the next day.

I would suggest keeping an eye on facebook marketplace and craigslist to get a feel for the market. Sometimes a jeep will show up and sell in under a day. I caught a perfect condition rubi on craigslist one night before bed with a great price and I was ready to go buy it the next day but the seller had already sold it by the time I was asking when I could come by (about 2 hours away)

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
Oh yeah, also was looking to purchase a highly modified Jeep with high quality mods. By the time I started talking to him he had already received an offer from a dealership. I told him I would happily pay that price (great price) but the more I talked to him to more I felt like I was trying to sell the jeep to him. After a while I could tell there must have been something pretty wrong with the Jeep and mentioned it. He told me he wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to me if I had to drive it back home 2 hours away. He ended up selling it to the dealership and the next day it was listed on their website so I'm sure they never fixed any of the problems and this was a major Jeep dealer in the area.

I was in the same situation a couple years ago. Used to have a 2000 Wrangler Sport I bought new and daily drove for years, and I'd likely still have it if not for my older daughter. So there I was, 64, my Sport had been dead for 11 years, and I missed it desperately almost every day.

I too am from Pennsylvania (northeast) and I joined this forum and took all the advice about being patient, finding the right one, etc., but I looked at probably 50 Wranglers all over the commonwealth until I ran out of patience. TJ's aren't particularly cheap and up here there's a plethora of rust buckets and back-country beaters. Fortunately though I'm old enough and not so financially strapped (translation: my wife loves me) that a few thousand dollars difference between a cream puff and a handyman's special would kill me so I decided to go the southern Jeep route. I bought my Rubicon from a dealer in Texas and had it shipped to Pennsylvania for $850. It was a leap of faith - I know that - but the dealer and I face-timed a few times and he went over the exterior and interior and I was fairly confident when I pulled the trigger. As others here have said, mechanicals can be fixed fairly easily (although not by me - I have basic oil-change type skills but that's about it) but rust never sleeps.

I don't know how you feel about things but for me having a cosmetically nice Jeep I'm able to actually drive all over the place with confidence it won't be breaking down every two weeks was the most important factor in my decision. I have a very good mechanic in Harleysville (Jeff Daniels) that I trust. It's a little bit of a haul for me but I don't mind - gets me out of the house for a day. I baby the Jeep, no salt driving, pre-emptive maintenance, nip problems in the bud. I've been all around the commonwealth, went up to Lake Ontario a couple times, took a weed run to Massachusetts over the summer. I buyed once, cried once.

Anyway, that's my story. My only advice to you is when you finally pull the trigger, as I know you will, do yourself a favor and run it up to Jeff Daniels and have them give it a good look. They're good people and they won't fuck you around.

This is what mine looks like - stock, 6 speed, had 96,000 on it when I bought it. It's in beautiful shape and I love it.

IMG_20191002_161003.jpg

Reactions: Mac
I was in the same situation a couple years ago. Used to have a 2000 Wrangler Sport I bought new and daily drove for years, and I'd likely still have it if not for my older daughter. So there I was, 64, my Sport had been dead for 11 years, and I missed it desperately almost every day.

I too am from Pennsylvania (northeast) and I joined this forum and took all the advice about being patient, finding the right one, etc., but I looked at probably 50 Wranglers all over the commonwealth until I ran out of patience. TJ's aren't particularly cheap and up here there's a plethora of rust buckets and back-country beaters. Fortunately though I'm old enough and not so financially strapped (translation: my wife loves me) that a few thousand dollars difference between a cream puff and a handyman's special would kill me so I decided to go the southern Jeep route. I bought my Rubicon from a dealer in Texas and had it shipped to Pennsylvania for $850. It was a leap of faith - I know that - but the dealer and I face-timed a few times and he went over the exterior and interior and I was fairly confident when I pulled the trigger. As others here have said, mechanicals can be fixed fairly easily (although not by me - I have basic oil-change type skills but that's about it) but rust never sleeps.

I don't know how you feel about things but for me having a cosmetically nice Jeep I'm able to actually drive all over the place with confidence it won't be breaking down every two weeks was the most important factor in my decision. I have a very good mechanic in Harleysville (Jeff Daniels) that I trust. It's a little bit of a haul for me but I don't mind - gets me out of the house for a day. I baby the Jeep, no salt driving, pre-emptive maintenance, nip problems in the bud. I've been all around the commonwealth, went up to Lake Ontario a couple times, took a weed run to Massachusetts over the summer. I buyed once, cried once.

Anyway, that's my story. My only advice to you is when you finally pull the trigger, as I know you will, do yourself a favor and run it up to Jeff Daniels and have them give it a good look. They're good people and they won't fuck you around.

This is what mine looks like - stock, 6 speed, had 96,000 on it when I bought it. It's in beautiful shape and I love it.

View attachment 216213
Beautiful Jeep. I may start to look at some TX and AZ Jeeps. If it is less tha $1k to ship and I get a rock solid frame it may be worth it. Everything I see around here except a few has frame issues, wither existing or "repaired". I would imagine I could increase the number of valid contenders by looking in the Southwest just by the lowering of frame issues. Harleysville isn't that far from me, I will check out Jeff Daniles, thanks!

Reactions: KillerIsMe

View attachment 216213
Nice!