HELP Crown OPDA doesn't line up exactly in same position as old one, slightly off

JohnJ78

TJ Enthusiast
Doing this job right now.

Installed locating pin into old one before removing it like in video. Put pin in new one, went to drop it in and it won't allow me to drop it in at exactly the same position. I compared the flat bit at the ends, and the new crown one is at slightly different angle. maybe 10 degrees off.

Pin is still in. I can drop it in and put it in place, but it it at a slight angle. Is this normal? Any most importantly does it effect timing or whatever? Seems like even though it goes in at a slight angle, the sensor and the markings are still in alignment.

Had another look... what it is, is the splines are actually slightly out, so it's impossible to drop it into the original position. I can install it, it will just be rotated clockwise 10 degrees. Will that make a difference? alignment pins still installed.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Last edited:
Shouldn’t matter so long as the pin is installed and you’re at TDC on 1. You’ll know as soon as you start it whether you’re in time. It’ll throw a CEL real quick if it has a cam timing problem.

Ah, I didn’t know you were talking about the pump drive when you mentioned splines. Yep a screwdriver does the trick.

Only use the old sensor if it’s a known good Mopar sensor. The aftermarket sensor that comes with it has a past of being junk

Ah, I didn’t know you were talking about the pump drive when you mentioned splines. Yep a screwdriver does the trick.

Only use the old sensor if it’s a known good Mopar sensor. The aftermarket sensor that comes with it has a past of being junk
I'll use it for now. Getting dark :)

Yeah that won’t be a problem. Just know where to look if you suddenly get some cam position codes. Let me know if she starts up and runs without a CEL.

Starts up and runs sweet. Not sure if any codes haven't checked. No limp mode or anything. One more job complete.