Help diagnosing a ticking noise at startup

04 LJ

🇺🇸 JEEP 🇺🇸
Supporting Member
So I’ve researched the cold start threads and they all seem to be on cold days. It’s 90F here today so here goes. I typically only take it out for a cruise on weekends but the weather was nice so I figured why not for a quick trip to the store. Anyways, as soon as I started it there was a loud ticking coming from the engine. I have 85k miles and it has NEVER ticked before in cold or hot weather. It was last driven last weekend with no issues. I immediately turned it off and checked the oil (I know it should be hot to do this but can’t hurt to be safe). It was a nice honey color (Mobil Super 10W30 dino) and a hair over full from none being picked up yet. I started it back up and no tick whatsoever. Wth? While I was quite happy to not hear it again I was puzzled as to why I heard it the first time just mins earlier. For what it’s worth the oil only has about 5-700 miles on it BUT it was last changed in 2020 and the Jeep sat all of 21 with no driving (please don’t berate me). Could the oil have lost its viscosity due to age and caused a lifter to stick at start up? Did the millisecond of run time before I killed it somehow provide enough lubrication that it didn’t repeat on the restart? Could it be the onset of something completely different? Again, I’m not looking to be hammered for having 2 year old oil or letting it sit too long I’m just looking for honest and helpful opinions. I did go ahead and drive it to the store (and had DW in one wheel for the first time in 4 years 🙄) and checked the oil when I got there. Level was perfect and as mentioned previously, it was a nice honey color after having circulated and come up to temp. I will be draining and refilling as a precaution but still would like some answers. Can’t seem to find Mobil Super 10W30 dino anymore so I’d welcome oil/additive opinions too. Thanks y’all!