Help diagnosing Jeep Liberty KK leak please (pics inside)

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Is this the Rear Pinion Seal thats leaking?

IMG_6612.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, that sure looks like the rear pinion seal to me! Those things are pretty easy to replace.

Reactions: EJD
Yep, that sure looks like the rear pinion seal to me! Those things are pretty easy to replace.
Thanks for the verification!, any idea what this brick sized metal block is called in the 2nd photo?
It's weird cause I can't seems to find it on the Mopar parts diagram at all, like it doesn't exist, and every photo I search for regarding rear pinion seals do have that block there.

Thanks for the verification!, any idea what this brick sized metal block is called in the 2nd photo?
It's weird cause I can't seems to find it on the Mopar parts diagram at all, like it doesn't exist, and every photo I search for regarding rear pinion seals do have that block there.

I was curious about that myself. I've never owned a Liberty, so obviously I'm not familiar with them. However, whatever that is appears to be factory, and it almost looks like some sort of support.

I wonder if it's part of some sort of factory option like a tow package or something?

I was curious about that myself. I've never owned a Liberty, so obviously I'm not familiar with them. However, whatever that is appears to be factory, and it almost looks like some sort of support.

I wonder if it's part of some sort of factory option like a tow package or something?
Yeah it's pretty curious to me too, I also was thinking of some sort of support device (and it does have a factory hitch installed).
The KK Liberty actually utilizes many of the same parts as JK believe it or not. Thats why I figured i'de toss it in here as maybe someone recognizes similar or shared parts between the two.

Thanks though man, i'm kinda new to doing my own maintenance and repairs but I think I can handle this.

I think you can handle this one as well, it's not too difficult. If you do end up finding out what that is, let us know!

I believe that brick sized device is a "tuning weight". They can be called other things but basically that weight is added dampen, or tune out, some unwanted harmonics in the rear axle. Usually, but not always, this is something that is heard, but not always felt. At least that's my experience when these were added during various vehicle development programs.

Manufactures try to engineer weight out of vehicle components but then have to add it back in the form of items like this in order to please customers.

Reactions: Chris
I believe that brick sized device is a "tuning weight". They can be called other things but basically that weight is added dampen, or tune out, some unwanted harmonics in the rear axle. Usually, but not always, this is something that is heard, but not always felt. At least that's my experience when these were added during various vehicle development programs.

Manufactures try to engineer weight out of vehicle components but then have to add it back in the form of items like this in order to please customers.
That is an interesting concept, i'm very curious to see if it has a Mopar part number on it somewhere. It's coming off next week when I attempt this project, will update this thread with anything if I find out. If nothing is on there i'm going to the dealership to see what they say about it for fun.

Don't be surprised if they don't know, or don't really care, why or if its on the rear axle. Those things were used on some vehicles and not others. It could be anything from tire size to rear axle ratio to any number of other things that created the harmonics that led to the original installation of the damper weight.

During a vehicle development program I have hose clamped wheel weights to the exhaust system in various place to get rid of a "moan" caused by harmonics. Usually this "moan" can be handled by redesigning the exhaust system or even just slightly changing the location of the hangers. But during development you do what you gotta do.

Most people on the service side, myself included, wouldnt have enough time to overthink something like that weight.