Help finding a good jack

hajasj

Hey guys,

So I’ve been hearing that the hi-lift jacks you can mount to your hood/spare tire carrier are not very practical and barley used on trails. That being said, what kind of jack do you usually bring on the trails or would recommend? Something that I can take with me and isn’t super heavy or big but something I can use to help any problems I run into on trails. Appreciate the help!!

Have you met your factory telescoping screw jack that lives under the passenger seat?

• Haha
Reactions: billiebob
Have you met your factory telescoping screw jack that lives under the passenger seat?
Sadly when I bought my Jeep the previous owner said he lost it..... don’t really know how you lose it but oh well

Easy: you throw it away and get a useless Hi-Lift!

Check the local yards; stock jacks are cheap.
Will the stock jack work if my Jeep is lifted 3” and has 33” tires? I have no experience with the stock jack seeing as I never had one haha

Will the stock jack work if my Jeep is lifted 3” and has 33” tires? I have no experience with the stock jack seeing as I never had one haha
This is the factory jack lifting a 35" tire. If you need more height or more stable ground then carry a couple short lengths of 4x4 wood blocks with you.
35OnOEjack.jpg

That reminds me: I need to make a drill adapter for my stock jacks! How'd I forget that I was going to do that?! They go up SO fast that way...

You've been threatening to make an adapter for years. And I've been thinking about making one for myself for about as long.

Doesn’t someone sell a bottle jack with more of a half moon 🌙 cup support?

Yeah, high lifts are not safe. I still have one from early wheeling days. Had to lift the back of my cousins 66 gladiator once because his lift blocks( another bad idea) broke. Jack literally started ratcheting itself down! Luckily no one was underneath, but talk about leaving a skid mark. After that no one used the high lift :oops:

Reactions: hajasj
You've been threatening to make an adapter for years. And I've been thinking about making one for myself for about as long.

I also need to learn how to make better threats, because I don't really know how to do it without using the phrase "assless chaps"...and that phrase is almost entirely out of place in a thread about jacking things.

Almost.

That said: I'll pull out a stock jack this weekend and see what I can come up with.

The version in my head is a bolt with a flat blade that I use with a socket and a bunch of extentions. If I still had a place for my welder, it would be finished tonight while I am thinking of it.

Reactions: Sundowner
The version in my head is a bolt with a flat blade that I use with a socket and a bunch of extentions. If I still had a place for my welder, it would be finished tonight while I am thinking of it.

You're shopless, too? Same here; sucks, don't it?

How long of an extension do you think you need? How about making a single piece that's a flat on one end and milled into a 3/8" hex on the other?

It is very frustrating in ways beyond the Jeep.

This adapter thing wouldn't be more than 10" long so that it packs well with everything else. I usually have about 20" of various 3/8" extensions in my socket bag.

Last edited:
High lift works great, provided you maintain it, and always fear it.

I plan to put this beside where I bolt down my highlift in the back of the jeep.
5c0f95b25ae6b07eac52441caf8f4bf7.jpg

Or if you find yourself in possession of way too much money, arb makes a real nice jack

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Last edited: